Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: ??AUTO GATE OPENER WITH ELECTRIC MOTOR

Thanks
    OK, Les,
    You've got a good idea, but you're going at it the hard way. I built this same project several years back, and it worked great!
    Problem 1: Power - 1300' or so, is too far to make power for 110 VAC. Voltage drop over that distance is going to kill your motor, so, "alternative energy" is going to be the catch phrase you need to think on. Solar or Wind are the better choices in this instance. I am including 3 links on these subjects (all from the same person) which can guide you through the many steps necessary to get power to your GDO.

http://www.mdpub.com/ His home page
    How I built an electricity producing wind turbine His Wind turbine build
    http://www.mdpub.com/solar/index.html His solar cell build.
    In these, he discusses the changing of DC power to AC power in the correct, safest, and lowest cost manner.
    http://www.instructables.com has many other alternative energy resources you can read over, I found the sites above to be among the best in this area.
    CAUTION: INSTRUCTABLES.COM CAN BECOME ADDICTIVE!

Problem 2: Opener sensors; most of the 'Box' stores now carry replacement sensors, and remote opener buttons (Getting your openers for free, you can afford to buy a few parts). Sensor placement; I didn't feel the need to have sensors on my gate application, so I mounted the sensors in a short piece of 1-1/2" PVC tubing (pipe) so they were facing each other (wired them up first and made sure they were working), mount the pipe anywhere convenient. Problem: SOLVED

Problem 2a: Opener buttons. simply put, buy a couple (one for each vehicle you might normally use to access the property), If you want easy access, the option of a push button is always there, and "bell wire" can be purchased in 1000' rolls usually at the Box store too. You only need 2 conductors for this (4 push buttons would be needed if you don't get any wireless opener buttons,[opening and closing, going both directions] but you would give up all security protection). 1 more button at your house would save steps or fuel if you leave the gate open, or want to open it before leaving home.
    NOTE: this method negates any form of security beyond keeping animals in/out

If you are expecting others to drive through this gate, you might consider a key-pad operator mounted on a post near the driver’s side of the road

Problem 3: Operator installation. My opener was in a similar situation (outside, exposed to weather, etc.) it was a chain driven GDO. I solved this issue by putting a 1-1/2" PVC pipe over the track or rail and securing in position with 'L' brackets & protected it, and the operator, housing further by using a large ‘squarish’ plastic pail with a snap on lid. a 5 gallon round pail MAY work. (Hit a restaurant or donut shop for a square bucket, fruit fillings and veggies come in these kind of buckets with lids) The pipe has to be split to allow the connector to travel it's length. I mounted my opener inside the bucket, with the track going through the bottom ofr the bucket. this allows you to open the bucket for service or adjustment. I mounted the bucket on a steel framework made from an old real estate sign, and the other end to a smaller version of the same material.
    You will have to build your own connections between the operator shaft, and the gate. (I used the swiveling connections from a load holding bar from Harbor Freight).
    NOTE: Adjust the travel of the opener connection before you make the final attachment to the gate. Most GD Operators travel 7'. to open your gate as pictured, shouldn't require more than 4'-5' (if that much). I would suggest holding on to the gate and your opener bar connection, push the button to open the gate, and walk both items to check the travel. Do this in both opening and closing, then adjust until it's right. Once travel is adjusted, make the connection, and adjust closing and opening force.
    That SHOULD cover everything. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them.
    My opener worked for several years until we got a dog that could escape, and I had to secure the gate better.
    (It never gave me any grief once I had everything installed & adjusted). Also mine was next to my house so power wasn’t a problem.
    Good luck, and keep us posted !

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Stale Trooper; Feb 8, 2016 at 10:22 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stale Trooper For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Feb 9, 2016), Jon (Feb 8, 2016), kbalch (Feb 8, 2016), LESHUNT (Feb 8, 2016)

Thanks
    Holy moly Trooper! Thank you for taking the time to share! I'm gonna have to print that. I like the idea of running chain through pvc. And of course the many other tips and facts. Again thank you!! Just need to figure cost. I have the time, but if it's gonna push $200 I would have to reconsider.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    More ideas from me, now that I have seen clearer pictures of your gate.
    Could you pivot and tilt this gate upwards like a car park barrier arm instead of swinging it open. Seems like a chain driven GDO would lend itself to tilt it quite easily. Also consider doing a web search for non powered auto gates. See this link bump gate, Bump N' Drive Home for one such gate which looks easy and possible to copy. Lots of unpowered others out there too.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moby Duck For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 9, 2016), LESHUNT (Feb 9, 2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LESHUNT View Post
    Holy moly Trooper! Thank you for taking the time to share! I'm gonna have to print that. I like the idea of running chain through pvc. And of course the many other tips and facts. Again thank you!! Just need to figure cost. I have the time, but if it's gonna push $200 I would have to reconsider.
    Glad to be of assistance, Les. I hope you didn't misunderstand me about the chain running inside the pipe; the entire track & chain are inside the PVC, I cut a slot about 1/2" wide the full length of the pipe so the hardware that previously connected to the door could stick down through it so an attachment could be made to connect to the gate. this kept the chain & track from rusting, and getting dirty. I'll try to get a couple drawings made up showing a rough idea of how it was made if you want them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stale Trooper For This Useful Post:

LESHUNT (Feb 9, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    We talked early on about solar/alternative and by the pix it looks like the forest is right at the edge of the gate and looks like it's in the shade. It could have just the time of day the pic was taken, dunno. I suggested putting the PV at the top a pole to catch more sun or over to the sun side and I guess you could add a windmill with the added benefit of security. Here small remote PV's have started disappearing if the are accessible. YMMV depending on your area.

When I pictured using a GDO for this I envisioned mounting the GDO on the top of the fence next to the gate and mounting maybe a piece of plywood cut approx. 24" above and on axis of hinges of the gate. Then attach the chain to either side of this "hub". This would eliminate the rail and that whole mechanism. The GDO should be more than strong enough and with wood pieces for guides on the hub, the chain should neatly roll coil and uncoil around the hub. If it works replace it with something metal. Just a thought.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

LESHUNT (Feb 9, 2016)

Thanks
    Man you guys are GREAT, there are not many people who would take time out of their day to not only suggest, but actually research on this project.

I will say this......I did not research or search for any auto gate opener but once several years ago. It was one where the weight of the vehicle opened the gate the way Moby mentioned (upwards) and closed with a counter weight. But I really appreciate all the information. I did not devote ANY time to project today. (shhh, had an all day date). And at the end of day dyed and waxed my traps one last time probably.

So thank you guys for all your input. I guess the ball is in my court to begin and then I should have plenty of question other than
    " AUTO GATE OPENER WITH ELECTRIC MOTOR??" lol

C Bag, Moby Duck, and Stale Trooper thank you again for your time and consideration. I hope I can return the favor one day!
    And if you are ever close to Atlanta on the east side. Hit me up for a visit!

PAT

Thanks
    oh yea, I did understand the track and chain inside the pvc. I kinda liked the bump gate thing, just not sure what pulls it close both ways. and it looks a little "violent" for lack of a better word.

Thanks
    I found this on my PC while browsing..

No power and I could probably still use the chain. I have an extra set of truck ramps.
    http://<a href="https://www.pinteres...593822764/</a>

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information