Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bale wrapper - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,236 Times in 9,716 Posts

Bale wrapper - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    That wrap better be very porous, or the hay very dry, or that bale of hay is going to be moldy has heck real soon.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    That wrap better be very porous, or the hay very dry, or that bale of hay is going to be moldy has heck real soon.
    The wrap is not porous but you can lay bet that is a grower has the money for one of those machines he also has a meter to check the moisture of the windrows there will be one on his baler as well and if the moisture reaches 18% a professional baler with stop baling.
    We used to judge the moisture in alfala bales by the weight of the bales this was the small or standard square bales that is a 45 lb. bale was dry, 55 lb. bales were barn stackable 65 to 75 stack them lose with lots of space between them anything over 80 lbs leave them in the field another day. One farmer hired my cousins and me to haul his hay. He wanted it hauled stacked and tarped as fast as possible. He had a huge new swather with a baler connected to it cut and baled all in 1 pass that may be fine for mature hay but what he was cutting instead of baling he should have been making silage, but these bales all averaged over 120 lbs you could squeeze water out of the leaves and stems, we stacked it a loose as possible but the poor bugger still lost a lot of it due to mold fortunately none of the stacks caught fire
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    Wrapped bales are for silage.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloJohn View Post
    Had to look it up to make sure I knew what you were talking about. Never saw that done in the areas where I had what little experience I have with baling hay and feeding livestock. SoCal and Western Colorado, and mostly in CO. Mostly alfalfa hay, and bales I didn't have too much trouble putting on a hay trailer as a 16 or 17yo kid.

Bill

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloJohn View Post
    That only makes sense, as the wrapping would hold the moisture in long enough to be transported

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    That only makes sense, as the wrapping would hold the moisture in long enough to be transported
    Actually, for silage bales, you leave it wrapped until you feed. Around here, we see piles of wrapped bales, mostly round, that look like giant marshmallows - that is what my wife and the grandkids call them. And - the cows love hay silage. Silage can also be collected in a wagon and dumped into a storage method - like a giant bag or a tall pile that can be closed from air.

As for dry bales, yup, they need to be dry or they mold or worse. The guy I bought hay from for years had multiple fires in his storage barns when the hay was wetter than it should have been. Multiple years, I had him come out and check the moisture level of what he delivered because I could tell it - smell and touch.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BuffaloJohn For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jul 27, 2022)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Rarely ever see a wrapped bale around these parts of the country. I am seeing a few of the cotton growers start to bale their cotton in round bales and wrap those with a netting instead of the 8x8x20 log bales to cut down on the loss when loading them in the trucks. This year though I bet there is not 1 in 20 fields that will even produce enough cotton to make a log many were not even planted and those that were was only for crop insurance purposes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Lots of agricultural processes that most people have very little understanding or are totally oblivious about. We need to get more people to be aware to help prevent all of our agricultural lands from being turned into houses, shopping malls, parking lots and solar farms. Failing at this will leave a lot of people HUNGRY!!!

I find this really troubling!!!! An Israeli company is starting work to build a solar energy farm that’s planned to cover some 13,000 acres across two northern Indiana counties when completed.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    Lots of agricultural processes that most people have very little understanding or are totally oblivious about. We need to get more people to be aware to help prevent all of our agricultural lands from being turned into houses, shopping malls, parking lots and solar farms. Failing at this will leave a lot of people HUNGRY!!!

I find this really troubling!!!! An Israeli company is starting work to build a solar energy farm that’s planned to cover some 13,000 acres across two northern Indiana counties when completed.
    But all food comes from the grocery store packaged in plastic, glass, metal or cardboard everybody knows that. There is no need to have those huge fields taking up the space where a sprawling city could be built or could be covered with millions of PV panels or tall windmills built. So why do farmers feel they need all of those big ugly machines to work in the fields when all they would have to do is go to the grocery store and buy what they want to eat whenever they want it.
    This is the mentality of far too many bottom feeding city dwellers. They have on concept of how anything is produced. Ask one of them how glass bottles are made and they will give you a blank stare or say it is made from glass Duh. You will get much the same reaction about all other packaging materials, Mining of materials, harvesting trees growing specific plants to make their clothing and some forms of plastics mixed with by-products or the much-hated oil that has been produced from drilling deep bore holes, Particular grades of sand with a high silica content to make glass, why cattle pigs, sheep and poultry need to be raised. None of this and more means anything to them, maybe they think everything comes from a star trek replicator (Tea El gray hot).
    Do I have a low opinion of these so-called people? Ask me in person something how I really feel.

Thread Information