Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Ball turner

Supporting Member
    Thanks

albertq's Tools

Ball turner

Attachment 40765Attachment 40766

Added Youtube and photo

Ball turner-radius-cutter-1st-job.-ball-handle.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; Dec 9, 2023 at 01:16 PM. Reason: moved into Homemade Tools subforum and adjusted syntax

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to albertq For This Useful Post:

Christophe Mineau (Dec 11, 2023), Jon (Dec 12, 2023), thehomeengineer (Dec 19, 2023), tonyfoale (Dec 10, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks albertq! We've added your Ball Turner to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: albertq's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi

Thank you for sharing.

Really like the connecting rod and remote handle to operate the attachment. Great idea.

I hope you don't mind, but I think I might try to incorporate something similar to your design to the one I built. This would be a great improvement to my tool.

Below is a link to my attachment, which you might find of interest as the cutting tool can be set using slip gauges to set the radius of the tool accurately.
    https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/radius-turning-attachment-76137

Many thanks again and a good job

The Home Engineer

Supporting Member
    Thanks

albertq's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomeengineer View Post
    Hi

Thank you for sharing.

Really like the connecting rod and remote handle to operate the attachment. Great idea.

I hope you don't mind, but I think I might try to incorporate something similar to your design to the one I built. This would be a great improvement to my tool.

Below is a link to my attachment, which you might find of interest as the cutting tool can be set using slip gauges to set the radius of the tool accurately.
    https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/radius-turning-attachment-76137

Many thanks again and a good job

The Home Engineer
    You're welcome to use useful bits of my design. I see we have similar ideas.
    I also incorporated a removable 6mm ground pin that I insert in a reamed hole at center of rotation, to align the center of rotation with center of work piece. Then Zero y-axis on DRO.
    Then I turn the adjusting radius screw until cutter just touches work piece OD, then turn in radius distance of work piece to align cutter tip over the center of rotation. Now both center of rotation and center of work piece are at zero.
    Set cutter 90 degrees to work piece face and set x-axis to zero.
    Now set the radius distance required, either in or out depending on concave or convex.
    Then using lathe cross slide touch cutter tip to work piece OD and Zero y-axis on DRO, then turn 90 degrees to touch the face and set x-axis to zero.
    You are now ready to cut the radius. I turn the cross slide outwards and doing multiple cuts feed in y-axis until zero. Job finished.
    Ball turner-.-touching-off-using-6mm-pin-center-rotation-align-center-rotaion-center-work.jpg Ball turner-b.-center-rotation-alingend-center-workpiece.jpg Ball turner-c.-once-center-rotation-center-work-piece-aligned-adjust-radius-cutting-distance-.jpg Ball turner-d.-bring-cutter-od-od-work-piece-face-then-cut-radius.-example-3mm-radius.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to albertq For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Dec 19, 2023)

Thread Information