Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Marking Fluids: Dykem v New Kid on the Block

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by gumser View Post
    Hi Anthony. This looks interesting. I live in the U.K. and would like to give it a try. Please let me know when/if this becomes available.
    Hi Gumser, thanks so much for that. I am keeping a record of those who shown interest. are you on Facebook by any chance? if so could you leave me a message through my Facebook page? https://www.facebook.com/Dadsinhiswo...00767221636047
    If not, please send me a private message on this forum and I'll give you details of when how etc. Thanks so much.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    -Not intending to interfere with anyone's prosperous future,
    I'm merely pulling out a few of my acquired DIY tips from 60 deg N (where stuff like layout dye is expensive if found):

DIY-kem: Starting with any cheap 1/4 Litre can of shellac lacquer/ varnish
    (used for sealing knots in wood from bleeding resin up here),
    adding a teaspoon-ish of (very finely ground) Prussian Blue dry pigment in a smallish bag from an artist's store.
    Dilute with methylated spirits 'til thin enuff to suit your purpose, add more pigment if too thin.
    Sticks to nearly anything w/o manic cleaning. Clean off by rag/ towel with methylated spirit.
    Could even be visible after stick-welding the piece.

-For the Purist, orthodox DIY-ers, here's the Original's MSDS:

Battle of the Marking Fluids: Dykem v New Kid on the Block-dykem-msds.jpg

(-Personally, I think the Butyl Acetate is mainly for the fruity smell, 2ndly for dilution...
    Ability to source and read an MSDS could also be Your Golden Pathway to Cheapness!
    )

Copper Sulphate solution (as per TubalCain Tip # 273):
    1 oz of Copper Sulphate (from the paint store - used for wood preservation/ anti-fungus/ anti-algae etc
    4 oz of clean water (de-ionized battery water or free from the househoild dehumidifier).

Add the CuSO4 to the 60 deg C hot water, stir until dissolved, let cool.
    Add 10-ish drops of battery acid (coveralls, gloves, face mask on!).

Apply with brush, works ONLY on ferrous metals, and they have to be darn clean and degreased before application.
    Nice easy-to-see copper finish, remove by sand paper/ emery. Sticks thru welding too...

Two freebie cents.
    Johan

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools
    [QUOTE=DIYSwede;175084]-Not intending to interfere with anyone's prosperous future,

Johan, I am puzzled why you felt the need to post this message. I find it odd. I am sure that many people on this forum know there are alternatives to Dykem. A felt tip pen is one for instance. But as you know they all have their disadvantages.
    I think the reason this has irked me is the crack about anyone's prosperous future, then outlining various formulae to make blue.

instead of any form of ambition to prosperity, if you watched the video in full, you would have understood that I am trying to support not only friend, contributor to this forum but very talented man who lives on a monthly wage that no Swede or Brit has to endure and still does what he does.
    This is not a commercial venture but a simple project that, not only validates the high quality product he has produced, but might help him financially through these tough times.
    However, as ever, I am sure there are those who would rather save $5 rather than help out.
    Forgive me if I sound terse, but this got to me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to anthonyget For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Feb 10, 2021)

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    [QUOTE=anthonyget;175091]
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYSwede View Post
    -Not intending to interfere with anyone's prosperous future,

Johan, I am puzzled why you felt the need to post this message. I find it odd. //Snip//
    I think the reason this has irked me is the crack about anyone's prosperous future, then outlining various formulae to make blue.

instead of any form of ambition to prosperity, if you watched the video in full, you would have understood that I am trying to support not only friend, contributor to this forum but very talented man who lives on a monthly wage that no Swede or Brit has to endure and still does what he does.
    This is not a commercial venture but a simple project that, not only validates the high quality product he has produced, but might help him financially through these tough times.
    However, as ever, I am sure there are those who would rather save $5 rather than help out.
    Forgive me if I sound terse, but this got to me.
    -Nick - thanks for your reply, and my offending sentence was an (apparently failed) attempt at irony:
    I do and did not for an instance assume anybody could make a fortune in selling layout dye to hobby machinists, OK?

Then - as this is a DIY forum: sharing a few quickie marking dye recipies for the interested,
    apparently lacking members outside your intended supply lines was perhaps "smearing your thread" for which I plead guilty.
    I'm sorry about that. I won't repeat it.

However - could your own assumptions of my person, my intentions and actions above be an example of the:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundam...ribution_error ?

-As I'm being a Swedish DIYer and outside the supply line, I'm unhelpful to a fellow machinist in dire straits,
    as I "rather save $5 rather than help out"?
    Pardon me, but I don't buy that sort of logic.

Cheers
    Johan

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    I moved 5 posts from this thread into a new thread in the Site Suggestions and Help subforum, to clean up this discussion. Meta-discussions about this thread can be placed in there.

To reiterate: this thread is allowed, along the same lines that we allow Kickstarter inventors to post about their projects on the forum within reason.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Feb 11, 2021), tonyfoale (Feb 13, 2021)

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools
    Thank you Jon. I genuinely didn't mean to cause a fuss.

Thanks
    A classic proof (if it were needed) of the old adage that "no good deed ever goes unpunished".

Thanks

anthonyget's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by gumser View Post
    A classic proof (if it were needed) of the old adage that "no good deed ever goes unpunished".
    There has been more support than dissent so I am happy about that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to anthonyget For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Feb 13, 2021)

Thanks

kess's Tools
    In Greece all machinists produce by own this fluid (aniline paint) that can be made at vary colors according the color of aniline paint that would be used. It is a simple formula and easy to make from everyone using simple materials that exists all over the world.
    Formula
    400ml alcohol
    50~60ml shellac
    18~20ml aniline
    And good shake until thin all shellac.

Battle of the Marking Fluids: Dykem v New Kid on the Block-blue-fluid.jpg

Battle of the Marking Fluids: Dykem v New Kid on the Block-blue_20200712_144041.jpg

Battle of the Marking Fluids: Dykem v New Kid on the Block-blue_20200712_141945.jpg
    Last edited by kess; Feb 13, 2021 at 05:03 AM.

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    -Umm - Personally, I'd stay away from aniline due to its well-known acute toxicity,
    where desired poisoning can take place from any (or all) preferred method of these (Caution: Irony!):
    1) Swallowing,
    2) Breathing its vapor/ fumes, or thru
    3) Skin absorption:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anilin...gy_and_testing

Battle of the Marking Fluids: Dykem v New Kid on the Block-aniline.jpg
    From https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Aniline

Thanks for the recipe, but I'll stick to Prussian Blue dry pigment: Iron(III)ferrocyanide ("not hazardous", even per OSHA),
    but then I guess I'm a wimp for not digging Benzene rings lying around in my home shop.
    https://www.chemblink.com/MSDS/MSDSF...ma-Aldrich.pdf

2 cents

Johan

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

jdurand (Feb 13, 2021)

Thread Information