Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Bearing housings for a wind spinner

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Don42's Tools

Bearing housings for a wind spinner

Today’s project was a ball bearing swivel for Milady's garden whirligig at the lake. It spins when there is wind. It is similar to this one:
    Bearing housings for a wind spinner-spinner.jpg
    I’ve added a bottom cross arm support to prevent strong wind from whipping the spinner into the mast, so there are bearings in tension at top and bottom.

The mildest zephyr is enough to get it going if the bearings are in good condition. As bought, it used fishing swivels at top and bottom. They claim to be ball bearing, but the balls must be the size of ant testicles. They worked OK for a little while but they don’t last long.

I replaced them with big salt water fishing swivels. Those lasted a little longer but not much. Nobody expects terminal tackle (hooks, sinkers, swivels, leaders, etc) to have longevity.

I found some stainless steel ball bearings on EBay, 4mm ID x 7mm OD x 2mm high, ten for 12 bux or something like that. I made one brass housing last fall. Made the other today. Need two, one at top and one at bottom.
    Bearing housings for a wind spinner-swivel-parts-sm.jpg
    Bearing housings for a wind spinner-swivel-assy.jpg

The rings on the ends are made of 1/8” dia stainless steel welding rod. There are some tool marks because that stuff is not exactly eagerly compliant for bending. The black stuff is brazing flux that I didn’t get completely removed. I think boiling water would remove it or I could bead blast it off, but It won’t hurt anything.

If/when the bearings fail, I have 8 more on hand and it’s easy to disassemble the brass housing, replace the bearing and reassemble.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Don42 For This Useful Post:

Inner (May 14, 2021), Jon (May 19, 2021), Paul Jones (May 13, 2021), Toolmaker51 (May 16, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks Don42! We've added your Utility Swivels to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: Don42's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information