Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Bearing puller tool from bearing - video

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,860 Times in 11,343 Posts

Bearing puller tool from bearing - video

Bearing puller tool from bearing. By metal homemade. 5:36 video:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    I’m sure he knows steels better than me, but I can’t help wondering whether this is an accident in waiting.

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Sep 2, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Davies View Post
    I’m sure he knows steels better than me, but I can’t help wondering whether this is an accident in waiting.
    A lot of work, only to have it shatter the first time he uses it. The concept is valid though for a wide jaw puller. it might last a while longer if he were to cut a couple of crescent shapes and weld them to the back side of the bearing races. The heat from welding along the entire perimeter will serve to anneal some of the brittleness out of the race while the extra steel of the added stiffener will make it a more useful tool. but he has another problem that being, the all-thread rod if he didn't use B7 stud grade rod the threads will wear quickly, or the rod will bend.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Sep 2, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,649 Times in 710 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    he has another problem that being, the all-thread rod if he didn't use B7 stud grade rod the threads will wear quickly, or the rod will bend.
    I think that you are looking for non-existing problems, Frank. A puller like this is for occasional use at best. I have several special purpose pullers that i have made over the years and many have standard hardware store all-thread. I have never had any problems with wear. The puller in this case will either break or bend long before he has to worry about thread wear.

Here is an example of one of mine. The multiplicity of holes indicates that it is used for many different jobs, mainly crankcase disassembly and reassembly but in this case for pushing out a lathe spindle. Not all tools need to be of Rolls Royce quality as many of your own testify to. I agree that the puller in question leaves much to be desired and I would expect it to be next to useless.

Bearing puller tool from bearing - video-lathegbh059.jpg Bearing puller tool from bearing - video-lathegbh060.jpg Bearing puller tool from bearing - video-lathegbh061.jpg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Sep 7, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks tonyfoale! We've added your Lathe Spindle Puller to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: tonyfoale's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    [QUOTE=tonyfoale;228270]I think that you are looking for non-existing problems, Frank. I have several special purpose pullers that i have made over the years and many have standard hardware store all-thread. I have never had any problems with wear. The puller in this case will either break or bend long before he has to worry about thread wear. A puller like this is for occasional use at best I agree that the puller in question leaves much to be desired and I would expect it to be next to useless. /QUOTE]

I hear you Tony: Anytime I use hardware store threaded rod though I always figure the tool is very temporary at best or more probably going to be a one-time use tool, unless I over size it. I have a habit of abusing the things I make LOL

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information