Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bench motor

Thanks
    It seems everyone of us has some DNA from MacGyver in us. The day they do away with secondhand stores in the colonies is the day that Yankee ingenuity dies. :>(

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

I have a similar scar on my noggin

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    The safety Nazi problem is as bad, if not worse, in the UK as it is here. I expect that, very soon now, we won't be allowed to tie our own shoe laces, lest we lose our balance and fall on our heads.

Somehow, I expect that the term "dog cocks" will never catch on over here.

Shame on you for bringing sheet metal to a buffing wheel. That's one of the first buffing no-no's I learned. Keep anything with sharp edges away from the wheel.
    In my younger days, I rigged up my grandfather's 2 wheel arbor with an old dryer motor of course backwards. The result was the kitchen knife I had just turned a new handle for became a fast moving and tumbling dart which conked me in the head right above my safety goggles. I am thankful I did not receive the pointy end.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DrengusCraic View Post
    In my younger days, I rigged up my grandfather's 2 wheel arbor with an old dryer motor of course backwards. The result was the kitchen knife I had just turned a new handle for became a fast moving and tumbling dart which conked me in the head right above my safety goggles. I am thankful I did not receive the pointy end.
    Yep some of us have learned the hard way, I did not mention in my first reply that I was only 15 years old at the time and was using college machinery and was doing what I was told under instruction, I was taken by the teacher to a local hospital for stitches to my forehead. When I was released I found the teacher had gone and I had to walk two miles home in bandages, my father said that will teach you to be more careful, imagine the parental reaction to those events these days. Next time I went to the metalwork shop the buffing wheels had miraculously grown wheel guards.
    One final point about buffing thin parts is that platers have do it all the time on car trims etc, their just not 15 years old and are experienced at what they do.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information