Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big picture inspection mirror

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Big picture inspection mirror

Normal size inspection mirrors (top in photo below) are fine for examining small details but I find them difficult to use when I want to view larger arrangements; my mental perception mechanism has a hard time synthesizing all those miniature pictures into a meaningful composite. Clearly, the answer is a bigger mirror where space permits.

Big picture inspection mirror-mirror-1.jpg

I had some 3 x 5" mirrors lying about so I tried handholding that and it worked well to capture the whole view. But the glass edges were a bit sharp and I was concerned about shattering the mirror so I framed it. A sheet of 1/16" model aircraft panel fitted with retainers made from ice cream bar sticks and Starbucks' coffee stirrers protects the mirror and makes handling more comfortable.

There were still some applications where handholding wouldn't work so I made the handled carrier shown in the middle of the photo. As shown in the photo below, the naked mirror is held in the supports with the ribbed rubber tubing stuff used to secure screening in aluminum window screens. The clamps are movable so it can be adjusted for even larger mirrors should that become necessary.

Big picture inspection mirror-mirror-2.jpg

I'm in the process now of framing another mirror to replace the naked one in the metal carrier.

If you're not up to making one of these yourself, there's a commercial solution that's just as good, indeed better. It's a woman's makeup mirror, flat and magnifying with built-in LED lights...

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Ligh...%2C240&sr=8-46

Just add an easily detached handle. The lights are a major improvement over my unlighted design.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 31, 2020), clavius (Jul 30, 2020), Jon (Aug 6, 2020), Moby Duck (Aug 22, 2023), Paul Jones (Aug 3, 2020), rgsparber (Aug 3, 2020), rlm98253 (Sep 22, 2023), Saltfever (Aug 6, 2020), Scotsman Hosie (Oct 1, 2022), Tule (Jul 31, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Large Inspection Mirror to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv,
    I agree with your assessment for a larger mirror. More than 30 years ago my wife used up the all the skin tone creme face blush in an Estee Lauder compact. Rather than throwing it out I repurposed it. I now use the plastic cased compact which has a 3.5x2 inch mirror for all sorts of inspections. The cool thing is the mirror is protected by a locking hinged cover. I keep it in my machinist chest and the mirror stays protected. The hinged cover works well with pointing the mirror in tight spots. It fits in my pants pocket. It was a fantastic find and very useful but the mirror is showing its age with some silvering going out of the corners. It could be improved with a metal rod for inspection like you did.
    Paul

Thanks
    You could also use a "selfie stick" to hold and adjust the mirror, or put your phone on the stick and take a movie or a still shot.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to woodcutter For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 7, 2020)

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by woodcutter View Post
    You could also use a "selfie stick" to hold and adjust the mirror, or put your phone on the stick and take a movie or a still shot.
    I don't own a, spit, cell phone or a, double spit, selfie stick and the first time it occurs to me to buy either I'm going to eat my gun!

However, I must admit to using my camera, the kind you can't make phone calls on, to flash photo nameplates in dark corners so I could read what is printed there.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Marv,

Ah, you are an inspiration to me. Here is my version - https://rick.sparber.org/LargeInspectionMirror.pdf

Thanks!

Rick
    Rick

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Altair (Aug 14, 2020)

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    Marv,

Ah, you are an inspiration to me. Here is my version - https://rick.sparber.org/LargeInspectionMirror.pdf

Thanks!

Rick
    Wow, "inspiration". High praise indeed, particularly so since it comes from one of my sources of inspiration. Many thanks.

Thanks also for the ingeniously simple all-attitude mirror mount idea. I've tucked that away in my ever more leaky mind. Hopefully, I'll get to use it before it leaks out.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

rgsparber (Aug 6, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I have seen "selfie" sticks in the $ type stores, and some even sell the smaller inspection mirrors. Yep - $1.00 (plus tax...)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,267 Times in 9,726 Posts

Thanks rgsparber! We've added your Large Inspection Mirror to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: rgsparber's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Where space is available I use a motorcycle rear view mirror. They come on a stick with a ball mounting which allows setting to just about any required viewing angle, That and a cheap 50x20 small inspection mirror has so far satisfied all my needs.

Thread Information