Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Black ice causes pileup - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,247 Times in 9,724 Posts

Black ice causes pileup - GIF

Black ice causes pileup.

Previously:

Tractor-trailer crash yesterday - video
    Onboard camera Indy race crash - GIF
    Chain reaction highway truck crash - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Mar 4, 2020), high-side (Mar 5, 2020), jimfols (Mar 4, 2020), Rangi (Mar 4, 2020), Seedtick (Mar 4, 2020), that_other_guy (Nov 12, 2022), Tonyg (Mar 5, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    It is clear there is a long straight distance someone would be able to see that up ahead there might be something wrong the prudent thing to do would be gin to slow down as soon as you first notice what's up ahead instead of waiting until you are right on top of everything. Black ice or no black ice most of those vehicles wouldn't have been able to stop in time had there been dry pavement.
    But they can always blame it on their unsafety devices like the collision avoidance systems for their lack of attention.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 5, 2020), greyhoundollie (Mar 4, 2020), thehomeengineer (Mar 5, 2020), toeless joe (Mar 4, 2020), Tonyg (Mar 5, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    It is very troubling how inattentive SO MANY drivers are. As Frank said, the "safety" devices have not made us any safer, they have made us less safe without a doubt.

Unsafe driving is deeply rooted societal problem. I always shocked when people I worked with would say things to indicate how worried they were that their child may not pass their driving test. My comment was along the lines if you are worried they are not good enough to pass that worthless test, they have no business on the road.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 5, 2020), Tonyg (Mar 5, 2020)

Thanks

stillldoinit's Tools
    I don't understand how people dont have to slow down in dense fog. They must have bionic "fog vision". Black ice will sure get your attention. My wife doesn't understand why I don't make more use of backup camera instead of mirrors.

Thanks
    What can you say! Some of those people obviously cant drive. Too much reliance on the cars so called safety features. Pay attention people.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I am a firm believer that everyone should have to learn to drive in the most beat up nearly wore out vehicle that can be obtained it should just barely be road worthy with tires that will only squeak by a safety check no power brakes no power steering no Air-conditioning no heater no automatic transmission a sticky clutch. the brakes should pull slightly to the right one time and to the left the next time but not enough that they will fail a safety insp. and above all no radio. They should practice on rural streets until they are confident to drive to the nearest small town and work their way up to city driving but before they are allowed behind the wheel for the first time they need ride in a Semi on the highway and in the city for a few days while listening to a driver who has been driving heavy haul over dimensional for several years He will ask them questions along the way to insure they are observant enough to be allowed behind the wheel of a vehicle. I did this for both of my daughters. for my oldest I had her ride in the truck with me while I had a D9 cat on the trailer we drove around the Streets of Dallas for 8 hours one day You don't want to know how much I spent on the permit and the argument I went through with the permit agency. She is 48 now and has never been ticketed or been involved in an accident which was her fault My youngest is 44 with nearly the same driving record she has to drive over 140 miles to work and back every day because she loves where she lives and loves teaching at the school she has been teaching at for 19 years so she has some speeding violations

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Rangi (Mar 5, 2020)

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    A 12" spike projecting from the centre of the steering wheel instead of an air bag and no seat belts might focus them on driving instead of their mobile devices...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NeiljohnUK For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Mar 5, 2020), Moby Duck (Mar 8, 2020), Rangi (Mar 5, 2020)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NeiljohnUK View Post
    A 12" spike projecting from the centre of the steering wheel instead of an air bag and no seat belts might focus them on driving instead of their mobile devices...
    The air bag may even be more deadly than the spike though

Thanks
    Thanked 1,446 Times in 820 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The air bag may even be more deadly than the spike though
    But, with the air bag, you don't see it coming. The shrapnel just explodes into your face with no warming, so the fear factor that might make you drive more carefully is lost.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    But, with the air bag, you don't see it coming. The shrapnel just explodes into your face with no warming, so the fear factor that might make you drive more carefully is lost.
    Several years ago I was riding with a friend of mine once we were driving through a large city on the freeways, he would run up right behind a vehicle in front of us then suddenly switch lanes weaving in and out of first 1 lane and then the other. After a while I asked him to please switch off the passenger side air bag. He gave me an astonished look and asked why. I said because I'd like for at least one of us to survive the wreck we are going to have from the way you drive. He muttered something unintelligible then said the switch in the glove compartment switch it off it you want. I did and it wasn't 2 minutes later that someone who was a more aggressive driver than he side swiped us, not bad just enough to exchange paint colors. Not his fault somehow, and not hard enough to set off any bags, but he blames me to this day for causing the accident.

Thread Information