Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bladeless wind turbine - GIF

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Quote "There is no big conspiracy. The science behind this is well known. I learned about it in my first year of university. But it is insanely impractical and expensive. You can achieve far more power generation by putting up a tiny solar panel. ...which is the downfall of all of the crazy fringe theories. Yes you can power your house with AA batteries, but it will cost hundreds of dollars per kWh versus $0.15/kWh from the power company. Yes you can power your home with 10,000 hamsters running in wheels, but it's completely impractical to do this when compared to numerous other alternatives. But no one will murder you with malnutrition if you try." end quote.

There are ALWAYS naysayers, It is my comprehension that Stublefield was not trying to distribute it. Why would you need to if everybody could generate their own power locally? And if they did, J.P. Morgan would be obsolete, he was in it for money not electricity.
    Earth has a bloody great magnetic iron core that rotates, does that not sound kinda like a generator? the problem for us is not how to generate electrical power, but how to capture and utilize the abundant power all around us.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by old kodger View Post
    Quote "There is no big conspiracy. The science behind this is well known. I learned about it in my first year of university. But it is insanely impractical and expensive. You can achieve far more power generation by putting up a tiny solar panel. ...which is the downfall of all of the crazy fringe theories. Yes you can power your house with AA batteries, but it will cost hundreds of dollars per kWh versus $0.15/kWh from the power company. Yes you can power your home with 10,000 hamsters running in wheels, but it's completely impractical to do this when compared to numerous other alternatives. But no one will murder you with malnutrition if you try." end quote.

There are ALWAYS naysayers, It is my comprehension that Stublefield was not trying to distribute it. Why would you need to if everybody could generate their own power locally? And if they did, J.P. Morgan would be obsolete, he was in it for money not electricity.
    Earth has a bloody great magnetic iron core that rotates, does that not sound kinda like a generator? the problem for us is not how to generate electrical power, but how to capture and utilize the abundant power all around us.
    Do not forget to add "and not get fried doing it." Saw a lighting strike out on the flightline at Nellis AFB, NV, when I was stationed at the photo lab there in the late 70's and early 80's. It hit about 4-500 feet in front of me. Tore up and threw several hundred pound chunks of steel reinforced concrete dozens of yards. Anyone on that spot would have been incinerated.

Bill

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 617 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    And there will always be people who don't understand science who fall prey to conspiratorial nonsense. We live in the age of conspiracies as a form of mainstream entertainment. Go look at all the people still waiting in Dallas for JFK Jr. to come back because of something Q said. I get it. It's fun to believe that powerful people have colluded and are hiding the truth, and that you're the only one who put together the puzzle pieces and figured it out. They're not and you didn't.

Yes there is tremendous energy all around us. A tiny gram of matter contains enough to energy to power your home for many lifetimes over (e=mc^2). The heat energy alone in the ocean could easily supply all of humanity's needs. But you can't extract it. To extract useful work you need a gradient. That's the trap free energy people always fall for.

All energy generation, all biological processes, and in fact every single event that happens in the universe depends on a gradient. Energy flows from high to low. Mass rolls down a hill, it doesn't roll up. High pressure fluid flows to low pressure. Hot flows to cool. High chemical concentrations flow to low concentrations. Everything. Literally no action in this universe can happen without gradients. You can't even make the tiniest twitch of your baby finger without them. The flaw in all of these free energy schemes is nobody understands gradients. Yes there is a big magnetic field around us, but it's largely homogeneous. There is no gradient that you can access. Motors work because their magnetic field changes rapidly on the scale of a motor. Motors do not spontaneously spin because of the magnetic field of the Earth because they cannot access a gradient. Ask ham radio operators low large their antennas have to be to access a gradient across a 2 MHz wave, while your cell phone can easily access a gradient at 2.4 GHz wifi with a 2 cm antenna. Every single process in the universe runs on gradients. This is the flaw in all of these free energy scams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_quality

Nathan Stubblefield's designs are from 100 years ago. It was impressive then, but now it's trivial to reproduce in any home shop. His designs are readily available online. Go make one for yourself. Just make sure you don't get murdered by JP Morgan. And watch out for zombie JFK Jr.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    If everybody had your mindset, nothing would ever get invented, because invention requires you to work OUTSIDE of convention.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    I am aware of this. I do not know the entire system dynamics as in the voltage through the ground and the return path in Amperes. I should look this up. Fill in a few holes in my understanding. What I was specifically referring to was the Colorado Springs experiments where Tesla was trying to use the earth as a part of a resonant system that made a lot of people and animals rather uncomfortable due to the millions of volts he was trying to pump into the ground
    Oh sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about ground conduction.

I worked with a man from India years ago and I think he explained it perfectly. He explained that his ideas are like his children, and that he wants to see all of them succeed. At the time he was advocating for some really unwise design changes, but recognized that he had to pull back and stop promoting his idea even though he wanted to see it succeed. You can see that same thing happen all the time. People have an idea, and it may even be a very good one, but they immediately over-apply it as a solution to all of the world's problems because they want to see it succeed. Tesla's genius was induction and resonant systems. Induction is one of the most important developments in human history. It is a tool for a great many jobs, but it is not the tool for every job. Can't transmit power practically with it. Like all fields it drops off exponentially with distance. It's why wireless cell phone chargers only work over a distance of a cm or so, and end up leaking half of their energy to the environment. And Tesla's ground vibrator idea for power transmission was just idiotic. You can't shake the ground then pick up those vibrations with what is essentially a shake flashlight as a means of transferring power. That's insane. Yes it's an extension of Tesla's understanding of resonant systems, no it is not a practical idea that deserves to succeed. Tesla was a genius, but everyone is wrong some of the time. Shaking the ground is one of those times.

Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    I live near Ottawa and yes there are many more Solar arrays then even ten years ago. Trouble is that there is not the true infrastructure to keep it working out to the full possibilities. Utility style batteries are only beginning to be available at realistic prices and capacities. A few in Canada mind you, in Ontario and Alberta. Wind and solar applications. What we could really use is a truly engineered distributed grid. A few full container sized battery packs per so much generation. Possibly it will happen. I certainly hope so.
    I totally agree. Energy storage is the biggest problem we're facing right now. All the other puzzle pieces are falling into place. Storage is the main thing holding us back. I worked with a few companies that are pitching solutions to this, but it's all snake oil. They have nothing. Just more investor scams. But unfortunately if you say the right combination of buzzwords investors will shower you with money. I'm about 50% sure these were bad faith companies at the start, but I am 100% sure they are bad faith companies now.

I think high voltage DC interconnects will alleviate a huge part of the storage problem. If you connect your grid to a different grid a few timezones over, you can import solar energy when you don't have it, and export it when the other grid doesn't have it. We're starting to see this, but a few grids (cough, Texas Interconnection, cough) are holdouts for purely political reasons.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

clavius (Dec 29, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    If everybody had your mindset, nothing would ever get invented, because invention requires you to work OUTSIDE of convention.
    My life is literally spent inventing. That is literally my job. The difference is I understand the science behind what I'm inventing. Not all ideas are good ones.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

clavius (Dec 29, 2021)

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Interesting to see this scaled up, we have a 19" rack cab with multiple miniature flappy plate versions driven by a small fans airflow as a display piece in the atrium at work, after 2 years around 20% have failed, it will be interesting to see how long the full size version endures.

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    I worked with a few companies that are pitching solutions to this, but it's all snake oil. They have nothing. Just more investor scams. But unfortunately if you say the right combination of buzzwords investors will shower you with money. I'm about 50% sure these were bad faith companies at the start, but I am 100% sure they are bad faith companies now.
    Nothing is different in audio. I consulted for one job for a company in Montreal claiming to be making graphene loudspeaker cones. It was totally smoke an mirrors. The process took hours. Real life it takes seconds. They were an I.P shell game that had 20 patents one of the Phd's I had to explain things to every few hours Only one of the guys a Russian young man with multiple Phd's was truly intelligent and could make things. The rest were with their heads in the clouds and working the system to create patents and make millions on the IPO.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jan 7, 2022)

Thread Information