Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Box truck towing multiple vehicles - GIF

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Probably not in some states, depending on how it is registered. Let's break this down a bit just for giggles and grins , 26 ft box truck empty weight aprox 13750 to15,000lbs, if registered as straight truck + tow combination Class 6 or above 4 axles on the ground total class 6 26,001 lbs & above gross weight, the max allowed in some states 58,000 lbs. Class 7 33,000 lbs with 4 axles, 64,000 gross, 72,000 in some states, However any registration over 58,000 LBS required another annual tax to be paid. Now assuming both class 6 and class 7 are air brake equipped that is.
    Now we have the prime vehicle at 15,000 lbs, 2 small vehicles in the box 4000 lbs each a single axle tractor being towed at 12,000 lbs a tandem axle day cab tractor being hauled at 17,000 and another small vehicle at 4000 lbs total 57,000.lbs legal in all States with proper registration insurance and a CDL A license Air brake qualified. Put that tandem tractor on the ground then the gross goes to 80,000lbs
    I'm all for highway safety, not as a 'trucker', just hauling my gear to home base. Box trucks act pretty gutless; they'll still move loaded, but it's real obvious. Bet he won't traverse peaks on I-70 such as Denver or Eisenhower Tunnel. Satisfied with Frank S's weight appraisal, and brake statement of Dollar Bill.
    That just concerns driver getting rolling, everybody's when it comes to stopping. Now, IF the box truck compressor can air up tank and all those lines, fine with breakaway gear, but wow. Guessing a carefully planned route as well, no height problems, surely there are "he**-no!" turns? It's almost a twin trailer and a half. Never been in any town, city streets, where a triple passed by.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Dollar Bill (Jan 18, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Seen some pretty dodgy combinations pass through this area headed for Mexico sometimes a school bus towing another buss towing a small car.
    Never known of any reg in any state that considers this as an acceptable, practice. but none the less double tow-bars are seen frequently. I would lay bet that nothing but the primary has brakes. Back in the 1990's at the end of a job we had done there I found myself saddled with 3 trailers to bring back to Texas pulling 2 trailers on the ground is legal but the front trailer is supposed to be a goose neck or fifth wheel, In the class 8 classification Triples behind a Semi is legal in some states 1 will be connected via the fifth wheel and 2 will be connected by a single or tandem converted dolly using a pintle and lunette connection.
    I on the other hand was in my pickup the trailer I always pulled was connected to my truck by a pintle. I loaded the biggest trailer on my trailer then cut a hole in the back of my trailer and bolted a ball on it to pull the smaller trailer of course I had brakes on everything that was on the ground and didn't weigh 18,000 lbs so my diesel pickup thought it was empty

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Seen some pretty dodgy combinations pass through this area headed for Mexico sometimes a school bus towing another buss towing a small car. Never known of any reg in any state that considers this as an acceptable, practice. but none the less double tow-bars are seen frequently.
    My last trip west, in UT an NV, there was what amounted to a train of doubles, not unlike the video. They must have been used car sellers. At least a dozen tow vehicles, a RWD van or pick up. Behind each a pair of vehicles, various types, and a couple minivans loaded with gear.
    I expect the group went to auction in vans, equipped with inverter or gas welder, material, saws and a box full of magnetic tow lights. Aside from uniqueness, nothing glaringly sketchy. That section of I-80 is desolate, everything separated by hours, seems a lot of driveshaft disconnecting and who knows about the FWD cars.
    It's interesting how and when, enterprising types pool their efforts.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information