Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Braai (Barby) cheat starter

Thanks

garage nut's Tools
    Found another use for it.
    Used to make Jaffels using a gas plate that screws directly onto a gas bottle.

Braai (Barby) cheat starter-jaffels.jpg

Lovely entertainment when the grand children sleeps over.
    They can choose their own fillings, from chicken mayo, savory mince and bacon cheese and tomato.
    It is all fanalised with a bannana, bar one and marshmellow filling for pudding.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by garage nut; Jun 9, 2018 at 09:37 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garage nut For This Useful Post:

HobieDave (Mar 27, 2020), Paul Jones (Jun 14, 2018)

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    another dessert jaffle to try is sliced granny smith apple, layered with cinnamon, brown sugar and sultanas (optional) in white bread. - comes out like a cross between a strudel and an apple pie.

Quote Originally Posted by garage nut View Post
    Found another use for it.
    Used to make Jaffels using a gas plate that screws directly onto a gas bottle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jaffels.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	24195

Lovely entertainment when the grand children sleeps over.
    They can choose their own fillings, from chicken mayo, savory mince and bacon cheese and tomato.
    It is all fanalised with a bannana, bar one and marshmellow filling for pudding.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to desbromilow For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Apr 18, 2019)

Thanks
    I now have a propane grill & hate it! My daughter who lives with us hates the charcoal taste so I got a gas grill to satisfy her. I had a nice Weber grill that just wore out & we moved & It wouldn't survive the trip So all I have that I can use wood or Charcoal on is my wet smoker. It works great for so many things & people love my smoked turkey. I have had a couple Charcoal starters like this thread started about & on the second one I welded all the seams & also the grate in the bottom. Still have it after 9 years of use!

Dave "Slawman" Huffman

Thanks
    Would you like to share your recipe for biltong? A friend from SA shares the meat but not the recipe with me.

Thanks

garage nut's Tools
    First thing is do you have the right climate to make BILTONG?

It must be cool (about 15 deg C on average) and dry otherwise it just becomes moldy or a breading ground for flies.

I tried with boxes covered with fine mesh, light to dry the air and small fan to keep the air moving, but under the veranda in the middle of winter still produced the best results.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I'll eat meat from just about any animal that bleeds red but it is not going to bleed when I eat it I've gone so far as when a steak house has prime rib for their special to have the guy cut off a slab then tell him to grind it and press it into a burger then toss it on the grill until it is done the only thing on this planet that I consider eating raw or half cooked is Hot Chili peppers
    Probably the reason that I can't taste wood flavor in anything other than a brisket that has been cooked for 18 hours is no matter the meat when it goes on the heat it is loaded down with garlic onion oregano red pepper tumerac curry black pepper and my hot sauce that I make, the only plain unseasoned meat that gets cooked around here would be some that was freezer burned and cooked for the dogs
    YUM. That reminds me of my late (& previous) father-in-law who, from dunking cattle & working under crop dusting (spraying) planes had no taste buds & would break up a couple of garlic heads (not cloves) and add to red wine etc etc for marinating the steak for at the least, a few days. I just loved that rump, porterhouse, eye fillet, pork etc but I paid heavily for days running to the toilet: my ulcers did not appreciate the beautiful food. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

By the way, I have one of the last made Aussie gas BBQs (mid 1990s with Australian steel grille & plate) & I have just replaced the original bottle of gas long out of date. We prefer to do that type of cooking down by the creekside on a barbee using the abundant Camphol laurel branches for heat & some smoke to boot.

BBQ's here, have long been throw away items, like everything else it seems. The better ones might last up to "2 seasons" according to a recent survey with a "MITRE 10" hardware one winning by quality & price. I had another old one I used for years as a mobile bench for growing vegies = 2 tiers: top one for lettuce etc that needed 5hr+ sun light & lower shelf for potted herbs and the like( the runoff from above watered the lower tier). Easy to do =use shade cloth on bottom layer with stones/coolite for good drainage then potting mix on top. Slow release fert seemed best for feeding as well as a liquid hit ocasionally. I sold it recently as I'm culling.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I'll eat meat from just about any animal that bleeds red but it is not going to bleed when I eat it I've gone so far as when a steak house has prime rib for their special to have the guy cut off a slab then tell him to grind it and press it into a burger then toss it on the grill until it is done the only thing on this planet that I consider eating raw or half cooked is Hot Chili peppers
    Probably the reason that I can't taste wood flavor in anything other than a brisket that has been cooked for 18 hours is no matter the meat when it goes on the heat it is loaded down with garlic onion oregano red pepper tumerac curry black pepper and my hot sauce that I make, the only plain unseasoned meat that gets cooked around here would be some that was freezer burned and cooked for the dogs
    You should be eating artificial meat if you do not respect it.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I am now using my old electric kitchen range out in the yard. It keeps the temperature perfect for as many hours as required and I burn a tray of hickory in the bottom.I found the price of charcoal to be ridiculous using my Kamado BBQ/smoker, it sells for about a dollar a pound here. Electricity is 4.6 cents/kilowatt and I doubt I use 5 kwhrs for a 12 hour smoke.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooler2 View Post
    You should be eating artificial meat if you do not respect it.
    Different people have differing tastes, I happen to enjoy having herbs and spices cooked in most things. If I want something bland and tasteless I'll eat chicken
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have the best of both worlds... Pellet grill. I can cook a burger well done in 5 minutes (500 - 600 deg) or slow smoke a brisket for 14 hours (down to 200 deg)> pellets come in all varieties: Apple, Pear, Oak, Maple, Mesquite, Hickory or my favorite: Competition blend, It has a great combination of several of the others. Fill the hopper, plug it in, set the temp, and let it start up then drop the meat on and close it up and wait (for smoking). The pellets are compressed with nothing but water and high pressure as binders. Very clean, very fast, and very easy plus turns out the best BBQ!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    "Divided We Stand, Together We Rise!" - (From "White Feather") - Marillion

Thread Information