Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Broken clock arm up-cycled

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Broken clock arm up-cycled

Hi All
    On one of my local skip forages I came across this broken clock arm which was broken from its magnetic base. (unfortunately couldn't find the base )

Straight away I knew what I was going to do with it, make it into a clocking arm for the mill. So took my lucky find home and took the arm apart to replace the short stubby broken shaft for a 75mm long one. Unfortunately this ball joint was hardened so I chucked it into the wood burner which was roaring and left it in there overnight.

It worked, the heat was enough to make the piece machinable. So cut the old broken shaft off and drilled the ball to accept the new shaft. The new shaft was then silver soldered in place.

This now fits permanently on the mill and can also be easily removed and placed in a chuck to clock bores or diameters.

Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broken clock arm up-cycled-repaired-arm.jpg   Broken clock arm up-cycled-placxe-mill.jpg   Broken clock arm up-cycled-clocking-vice.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

high-side (Nov 5, 2019), Jon (Oct 31, 2019), shopandmath (Nov 3, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Clocking Arm to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information