Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Busting fake internet welds - video

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,850 Times in 11,341 Posts

Busting fake internet welds - video

Busting fake internet welds. By The Fabrication Series. 10:05 video:

Previously:

Welded Celtic knot
    Welding a snake out of tubes - photo

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (May 6, 2022), BuffaloJohn (May 5, 2022), durrelltn (May 4, 2022), mccwho (May 12, 2022), mwmkravchenko (May 4, 2022), nova_robotics (May 4, 2022), Toolmaker51 (May 8, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    This is not cancel culture; but perfectly truthful.
    The first three letters are silent.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    E welds, that's a good one. While I will never claim to the the all knowing expert on welding, quite the opposite if you ask me. For instance , I suck at tig welding except with a 500 amp water cooled torch and a 1/4" tungsten. When it comes to stick welding I struck my first arc sometime around 1966 back then the 3 main rods were fleetweld 37 (6013) for AC machines 5P (6010) for pipe and light structural for DC, and LH70 (7018) Mostly DC but in a pinch you could use it on AC if you could get the arc to stabilize before burning through what you were welding. over the years I've probably used most differing types of specialty alloy rods for welding things like dissimilar metals, high carbon steels very low carbon steels, more grades of cast irons and steels than I can count. There is no way to calculate how many tons of rod stubs I would have if I had saved the stub of every rod I've burned, be they steel, stainless steel, Inconel, Nickle, aluminum, even copper and bronze electrodes.
    But when it comes to wire welding that is where I've consumed the majority of the fillers in the past 55+ years I don't care a whole lot for solid bare wire either running CO2 or 75/25 Argon/CO2 mix, or tri gas or even 98/2 on anything thicker than 1/4" But with the 98/2 Argon/ Oxygen mix you can get hot enough to achieve a spray arc. if you have a machine capable of over 250 Amps you should do some preheat and post heat to reduce the heat effected zone on better grades of steel though. And to me any sq tubing thinner than 14ga is ornamental iron. I use E70S6 .030 to .035" wire with 75/25. set my gaps at half the thickness of the tubing make a few tacks to hold it in place then buzz across. For everything thicker I use duel shield wire mostly .045" with CO2 as that is as big a wire as my machine can run at 100% duty. I do have a machine that can run 3/32" wire but that thing turns the electric meter disk into a gyroscope.
    Welding while popping the trigger like trying to make an AR15 sound like you are firing an M16 on auto can have its merits at times not sure why but I can see doing this and have when there is a huge gap I have to step across the key is not to allow your puddle to go dark while not making nit so hot that the material melts away.
    I'm not sure what a fake weld is unless it is one that is made so cold that it just sits on top of the metal. We used to call that short arcing. If you had a machine that could be turned way down and still maintain a stable arc running .023" wire you could weld 22ga metal with a continuous bead.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information