Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Crane collapse at abandoned construction site - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,257 Times in 9,724 Posts

Crane collapse at abandoned construction site - GIF

Crane collapse at an abandoned construction site in Tripoli, Libya.

Previously:

Crane hits power line - GIF
    Crane boom crushes car - GIF
    Shipyard crane collapse - GIF
    Crane drops antenna tower section - GIF
    Crane collapses while lifting wind turbine blade and hub - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (May 11, 2022), rlm98253 (May 6, 2022)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Anyone else think it's odd that there is so often someone standing taking video with their smartphone looking at an otherwise boring non-event when these things take place?

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (May 11, 2022), Ralphxyz (May 8, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    Anyone else think it's odd that there is so often someone standing taking video with their smartphone looking at an otherwise boring non-event when these things take place?
    Oh no, it is perfectly normal for a high percentage of smart phone users to make videos of every single thing happening on the planet at any given time, even to begin their videos seemingly prior to an event beginning to take place. Nothing to see here it is just a building let's move on, Oh wait! There is a crane beginning to move I'll keep focused on the building maybe the crane will destroy it as it falls.
    Nope nothing odd at all, except I believe the ones who make so many of these videos suffer from a new form of OCD. I call it Spielbergism.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (May 7, 2022), Drew1966 (May 6, 2022), KustomsbyKent (May 8, 2022), NortonDommi (May 6, 2022), nova_robotics (May 11, 2022), Philip Davies (May 6, 2022), piper184 (May 6, 2022), toeless joe (May 6, 2022)

Thanks
    News reports were that the old cranes were being removed from the abandoned construction site and that the area had to be cordoned off because there was a failure and the crane was in risk of imminent collapse, the news attracted cell phones.

There are different angled vides, clearly not coincidental.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob_3000 For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (May 6, 2022), nova_robotics (May 11, 2022)

Thanks
    The crane was standing ideal since 2011. Probably, corrosion must have taken its toll on the crane.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mansworld View Post
    The crane was standing ideal since 2011. Probably, corrosion must have taken its toll on the crane.
    That is only 11 years even it were many years old when erected it would have had to be inspected before being certified for erection and use. It doesn't hardly seem plausible that simple corrosion could have been the cause. Possibly some damage to it prior to abandonment may have been a contributing factor coupled with years of the wind buffeting it, The possibility of damage could have allowed corrosion to take hold, buffeting winds could have accelerated fatigue in a damaged area.
    The strangeness is though even if it had been broadcast on the news a crane was in danger of collapse. How would it be predicted to fall at any given moment in order for an individual or group of individuals to know to capture it on video, or at what angle and location should they pick out for the best results

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    How would it be predicted to fall at any given moment in order for an individual or group of individuals to know to capture it on video, or at what angle and location should they pick out for the best results
    There was a planned process that folks went to see and that is what they saw, there are videos from different locations and fields of view.

Or, it wasn't an accident....

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Well it isn't surprising to me considering that so many people in the world have phones and therefore cameras and video capability. The thing that should be surprising to believers in bigfoot, spaceship landings, Loch Ness monsters, etc., is where is all the footage of these?
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Floradawg View Post
    Well it isn't surprising to me considering that so many people in the world have phones and therefore cameras and video capability. The thing that should be surprising to believers in bigfoot, spaceship landings, Loch Ness monsters, etc., is where is all the footage of these?
    There are people that make a living sitting at the end of runways and recording stuff flying in and out day in and day out all around the world and not space ship to be seen....yet.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bob_3000 For This Useful Post:

Floradawg (May 7, 2022)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_3000 View Post
    There are people that make a living sitting at the end of runways and recording stuff flying in and out day in and day out all around the world and not space ship to be seen....yet.
    My question to them would be if a space faring species were to visit this planet why would they require a runway once they got here? Not knowing if there was even intelligent life on this planet. However I would think any species with the ability to traverse the vastness of space would have already monitored our electronic transmissions and arrived at the conclusion there really is no intelligent life on this planet, leastwise comp[ared to them, and just pass us by without attempting to make contact.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information