Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Carbide Insert equivalent & comparison charts

Thanks

SteveJustSteve's Tools

Carbide Insert equivalent & comparison charts

I've looked for a long time for some charts like this. ISO & ANSI insert designations can be confusing for me sometimes. After a long search I found these and thought they maybe useful to someone else too. A big thanks to qtstools.com which is where I found them.
    Carbide Insert equivalent & comparison charts-iso-ansi-insert-crossover1_page_1.jpgCarbide Insert equivalent & comparison charts-iso-ansi-insert-crossover1_page_2.jpgCarbide Insert equivalent & comparison charts-iso-ansi-insert-crossover1_page_3.jpgCarbide Insert equivalent & comparison charts-iso-ansi-insert-crossover1_page_4.jpgCarbide Insert equivalent & comparison charts-iso-ansi-insert-crossover1_page_5.jpgCarbide Insert equivalent & comparison charts-iso-ansi-insert-crossover1_page_6.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to SteveJustSteve For This Useful Post:

BrianW (Aug 20, 2020), bvd1940 (Oct 14, 2017), Canyonman44 (Aug 20, 2020), Carnel (Aug 21, 2020), desbromilow (Aug 21, 2020), drivermark (Mar 21, 2018), dwbachor (Oct 14, 2017), Frank S (Oct 13, 2017), high-side (Aug 21, 2020), Home-PC (Aug 21, 2020), janders1957 (Mar 22, 2018), jjr2001 (Mar 21, 2018), marksbug (Jul 17, 2018), mwmkravchenko (Aug 22, 2020), nashty1 (Mar 21, 2018), NickP (Oct 14, 2017), NortonDommi (Jul 17, 2018), Okapi (Jul 18, 2018), Paul Jones (Dec 18, 2017), PJs (Jul 20, 2018), Saltfever (Jul 28, 2018), Seedtick (Oct 14, 2017), Sleykin (Mar 21, 2018), sossol (Mar 22, 2018), thehomeengineer (Mar 22, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Mar 21, 2018), zarembak (Jul 18, 2018)

Thanks

ChrisB257's Tools
    Thank you - most useful.

2000 Tool Plans
    Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!
    The Old Man's Shop

Thanks
    Thanks for the site reference, there's a lot of great info available!

Thanks

SteveJustSteve's Tools

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB257 View Post
    Thank you - most useful.
    No, thank you for all the time and effort put into your videos!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveJustSteve For This Useful Post:

Saltfever (Jul 28, 2018)

Thanks
    that is awesome!! and will be eazer than trying to find a catalog and fiddle through it..... I do have a question if any body out there knows...well due to my health Im down graded to air cooled vw's from fire breathing 600+ hp street car... so...back to the question I have.. the air cooled vw (oe size 1200~1600 cc H 4 engines) I still have the need for speed but cant lift squat any more, thus the lawnmower powered car(aka old vw air cooled cars , bug etc) the cylinder heads dont normaly use a head gasket... well I use a copper gasket on all of mine ( along with about 97% non vw parts...I only use about 3 oe vw parts in the entire engine assy, 2 keys&1 dist drive shaft) well the heads are counter bored for the cylinder to go up& seat agnist the combustion chamber. I have a assorted set of different fly cutters made for resurfacing them.just a plunge cut as the cylinder is pretty much centered in that location by that cut. the fly cutters use a tpg 431 or tpg 432. witch works ok for the most part & stock motors, but mine are nowhere neer stock and I dont like the finish they produce, and have a habbit of chattering. the incert cuts the entire flat of the carbide,the heads are aluminum.I dont use coated cutters,Ive tried spraying oil&wd40 while cutting, it help[s a little on some heads.( this issue is very common with these heads.I even used a roteryplate and spun the head and used a much smaller flycutter witch was great. but not realy practile as the set up time takes a good while and the bigger bore heads I use have bolt/stud holes that makes setting up more of a pain using dial indacator to get them centered up, small bore heads dont have that issue, but my 1600cc engines varry from 2028cc to 2332&2393 cc.. when I need/want is a incert made for aluminum to replace the tpg 432.the fly cutter uses one carbide with hold down arm to hold them, the flycutter also has the angle cut for the seating of the carbide so the carbide can be moved along the seat to varry the cut dia, as each flycutter usually does 2 sizes cuts.and different manufactures use/ make some diferent size cylinders. so....is there a aluminum tpg432/431 incert?? Ive used a lot of the H01 aluminum korea or china incerts and they work great, but I havent found any that was this size.and I do not know if they would even cut across the entire width of the blade as most are funkey shaped...and I need a flat surface, not drug,not chattered.also there is a wide variance of aluminum alloys used for these heads...some cut good some dont.some have been welded.Im winding down in all this stuff and only doing my own stuff now days,probably have 3 or 4 more engines left in me, but it would be nice to have a cutter I knew would do what is needed when it's needed and not have to jump through hoops.remember there are 2 cylinders per head and they have to be the same depth so if one cuts good and the other dosent...for what ever reason a extra .005 or what ever to get it cleaned up will result in recutting the other hole to match...I wish I could still do my heavy stuff, but it's all up for sale& Ill never get to ride the unfinished car I started oh so long ago ( suncoast racecars roadster, big v8 power doubble funny car cage, full round tube chassie, drag car/street car.) so I have to do what I can do...lawn mower powered car...aka marks bug.

Thanks

SteveJustSteve's Tools
    Holy smokes Mark! I am rather new to this whole forum thing but I'm going to guess you'd be a lot better off starting a new thread in a relevant section. Also you may try to type your question in a separate paragraph or many paragraphs so its a little easier to discern what it is exactly. AKA a TLDR version=).

I think your question was about decking off aluminum heads and having trouble with chatter. I am no expert on engine Machining but I can give it my best shot. I have seen guys use fly cutters that are very large diameter and made out of a disc with single point cutter hung down off of the disc. I'm inclined to think that would be more rigid than a regular fly cutter. Also seen large-diameter regular facemills with multiple inserts used.

Other than having a solid setup, locking stationary axis, having the quill fully retracted, choke up on the cutter and the obvious stuff if your machine is not rigid there's not going to be a magic answer for you other than get a different machine.

As far as the inserts go your best bet is probably going to be to talk to your tooling rep but I would say a name brand high positive raked & polished insert is probably your best bet, they are usually labeled PP for positive polish. Best of luck

Oh and there are cutting fluids that are better than WD-40 for aluminum like Relton A-9, Walter Alucut and Alumtap to name a few.

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for this completes charts, if somebody is interested, I have the profiles for standardised carbure inserts normally in pdf but they are in images on those links, hope that can help you too.
    Have a nice day.
    Pierre
    Carbide Insert equivalent & comparison charts-codification%2520iso%2520plaquettes%2520et%2520p-o%2520.jpg
    Carbide Insert equivalent & comparison charts-codification%2520iso%2520plaquettes%2520et%2520p-o%25201.jpg

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Okapi For This Useful Post:

BrianW (Aug 20, 2020), desbromilow (Aug 21, 2020), high-side (Sep 4, 2020), Jon (Jul 18, 2018), marksbug (Jul 18, 2018), mwmkravchenko (Aug 22, 2020), PJs (Jul 20, 2018), Saltfever (Jul 28, 2018)

Thanks
    Hi SteveJustSteve, Ken (Canyonman44) here. I'm hoping OKC is Oklahoma City. I'm up here in Enid. I would like to visit sometime when I venture to the City.
    I looked and searched for a Private Message function but couldn't seem to come up with one. Ken

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information