Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Casting aluminum ladles - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,806 Times in 9,914 Posts

Casting aluminum ladles - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

baja (Jun 15, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Jun 14, 2022), neilbourjaily (Jun 18, 2022), nova_robotics (Jun 14, 2022), odd one (Jun 14, 2022), rlm98253 (Jun 14, 2022), Sleykin (Jun 15, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    What's the black stuff on the inside? Cast iron with lumpy refractory on the outside? Carbon? Some other magic?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

odd one's Tools
    What ever it is it seems to be doing a pretty slick job. Looked like a nice surface finish. If it was cast iron, I would imagine the molds needing to be preheated.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to odd one For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jun 14, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by odd one View Post
    What ever it is it seems to be doing a pretty slick job. Looked like a nice surface finish. If it was cast iron, I would imagine the molds needing to be preheated.
    It's a beauty. And it seals really well too. No flash at the seam between the two dies. I have piles and piles of aluminum chips and would love to try my hand at aluminum casting. And this guy seems to be doing it right.

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    wasn't there a link between aluminium cookware and parkinsons found about 30 years ago?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to desbromilow For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jun 19, 2022)

Thanks
    the link was debunked when they discovered the brain matter being investigated was stored in aluminium containers.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to phred For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    I don't know about that. Aluminum is a heavy metal and a fairly well established neurotoxin. I think the link to aluminum cookware is a bit dubious though. If you want to point fingers at aluminum exposure, look at the anode in your water heater. And buy aluminum free deodorant.

Thanks

mlochala's Tools
    Is that concrete they are using for the molds? Interesting.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    I don't know about that. Aluminum is a heavy metal and a fairly well established neurotoxin. I think the link to aluminum cookware is a bit dubious though. If you want to point fingers at aluminum exposure, look at the anode in your water heater. And buy aluminum free deodorant.
    The jury on the benefits and or dangers of aluminum exposure to humans may never be completely resolved. I think there are numerous formulations of aluminum salts and substances containing aluminum recognized by the FDA as being both beneficial and hazardous to humans in various concentrations. Many municipalities use one aluminum salt or another in water treatment Aluminum chloralhydrate for one, has been used in anti perspirants for as long as they have been around some people have been found to be more susceptible than others to the possible toxicity of the substance. On the other side of the coin some societies have used aluminum cooking and eating utensils almost exclusively for over 100 years with little or no known detrimental effects to their health. I think and this is just a personal opinion that the physiology and cultural differences of people around the world has as much to do with the possible toxic effects of all substances is largely due to our genetic make up.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Coating is definitely a graphite based refractory coating. This is really cool. I have done a lot of aluminum, casting is years past and I am impressed with this. A porous concrete probably a refractory concrete is the exterior of the mold. I will see if I can dig up anything on this idea. Got me thinking! Concrete on it's own made from portland cement ios not something that will last very long. It has a lot of water bound up in it's chemistry. Makes for molds that are quite short lived.

As for melting chips. Unless you have seriously compacted them into some solid form have fun with that. So much surface area for oxide to make your life hard. If you have a press and a way to make hockey pucks you might be able to make it work.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jun 19, 2022)

Thread Information