Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Casting aluminum ladles - GIF

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    As for melting chips. Unless you have seriously compacted them into some solid form have fun with that. So much surface area for oxide to make your life hard. If you have a press and a way to make hockey pucks you might be able to make it work.
    Inert the atmosphere with some argon? I have a bottle of pure argon for tig and another bottle of 75% argon + 25% CO2 for mig. I have an electric kiln that seals up fairly well so I'm not too worried about air leakage.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    In melting any aluminum if you had a way to slowly stir the liquid near the bottom and inject pure Argon not only will this help to reduce the oxides but will cause the hydrogen molecules to be absorbed in the Argon bubbles and rise to the surface where it can be removed with the draff. This will aid in degassing by removing the hydrogen and other impurities, also will help to reduce porosity and shrinkage of castings.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jun 19, 2022), nova_robotics (Jun 19, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    This will aid in degassing by removing the hydrogen and other impurities, also will help to reduce porosity and shrinkage of castings.
    That's a good point. If I ever get some motivation I might try putting a hose and a quick connect on my kiln. It would be interesting to try, at least. But I also don't know what I'm doing. I've never cast metal before. Watched plenty of Youtube videos on the subject. Kinda like reading a book on how to swim.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    That's a good point. If I ever get some motivation I might try putting a hose and a quick connect on my kiln. It would be interesting to try, at least. But I also don't know what I'm doing. I've never cast metal before. Watched plenty of Youtube videos on the subject. Kinda like reading a book on how to swim.
    Here is the rub. the Argon needs to bubble up from the bottom of the crucible or cauldron at a slow pace. One thing you can do is to use a tube made from just about any metal which will not sluff off anything at the melting temperatures of Aluminum. If you have a way to slowly stir the molten aluminum so much the better as the bubbles from the argon will be distributed more evenly and will absorb more of the hydrogen molecules as they rise to the surface.
    So there is your challenge stir the pot inject Argon and not bubble molten metal all over the place. If you have a cauldron capable of say a 40 lb melt a rotating stir tube with vanes on the bottom with a high temp rotary swivel at the top to blow the argon through you should be golden The RPMs might need to be varied between 150 and 250 or so this all depends on the depth and the amount of metal being melted. The Argon flow and the amount of time required to achieve bets results Just think of it as stirring very hot paint you can dip out the amount of metal for your pour with ladles or if a crucible use tongs to lift it out and pour.
    The biggest factor here is I can't stress this enough since for most things I don't wear much of it that is PPE and be safe never put your face or any other part of your body directly over the molten metal use every safety precaution you know and even those you don't know. Also water is explosive in any molten metal
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jun 19, 2022)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    YouTube OlFoundryman. Best teacher I have seen for aluminum casting.

What I am referring to is each chip is coated in aluminum oxide. This is tough stuff. And doesn't melt. I forms a bag holding the molten aluminum. Try something else. And save yourself the grief. Cast with aluminum that has been formulated to casting. No cans, no extrusions. Think rims, engine heads. Then you will have some success. It is true that for ideal casting you have to bubble argon through your molten metal, and molten aluminum and stell of any kind is a big nono. Molten aluminum dissolves steel and iron. So you need a crucible. Melt it and pretty much as soon as it is melted you pour it. The hows and whys of pouring are covered well by Martin in his last video.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jun 19, 2022), nova_robotics (Jun 19, 2022), odd one (Jun 20, 2022)

Thread Information