Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Center Drills?

Thanks

Center Drills?

Guys I am in market for Center Drills,so I look on ebay and I see there are lots of choices.So I have been told that can't go wrong with KEO so going to go with that brand.But as I'm shopping I see there are HHS,carbide,Cobalt as the material.But I also see that some are 100400 or 100410 but they are both size #4.Thing is, going by price does not help much since I see some that are double in price for the same bit.
    I also look at a set which was price at 58.00 then I see another set that is 176.00 for what looks to be the same.They are all of the KEO brand.I like to go with the Cobalt since sometimes I am drilling into SS then other just plain ole aluminum.Basically I'm confuse on this so looking for little guidance on my selection.Thanks

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    This is my skeptic self responding to your plea for help.

Part of the problem with buying things especially online, is that you cannot even rely on the description being accurate. The trust is gone. Too many online sellers have learned that it is too much trouble for consumers to return things, so they don't really care if they sell you junk.

I did purchase a set of center drills from Amazon for $14.00, 2 years ago. They have been working fine so far. But I have only used them in some mild steel and aluminum.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I've lately been buying tools made by Accusize because I've found them to be inexpensive yet good working tools, and I have no complaints about their center drill set. I also have an Accusize 3/4" roughing end mill that was inexpensive and it's been worth its' weight in gold. I've hogged out a lot of material with it and it's still good to go, as well as an 1½" carbide facing end mill that leaves a nice surface.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools

I miss Enco

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    I've lately been buying tools made by Accusize because I've found them to be inexpensive yet good working tools, and I have no complaints about their center drill set. I also have an Accusize 3/4" roughing end mill that was inexpensive and it's been worth its' weight in gold. I've hogged out a lot of material with it and it's still good to go, as well as an 1½" carbide facing end mill that leaves a nice surface.
    Bummer that Enco is not still here.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Thread Information