Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Chain tension & load balancer

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Chain tension & load balancer

The main project I am working on requires several #35 pitch chains to synchronize and move a number of members in 2 directions
    the ends of 2 chains are dead manned to the same tab each extending over a sprocket in the opposite direction the sprockets are both fixed to a single member the other ends of the chains are also dead manned together on yet a 3rd but fixed member all of this is duplicated on the opposite side of the machine and both sides must move and be positioned relative to each other.
    the issue was how to accomplish the adjusting of 4 chains and 6 members with the minimum amount of parts and adjustments.
    My solution was to make 2 single ended floating turn buckles of sorts with 1 end of them being a swivel connection then using the body of tghe buckles as the synchronizing pieces
    here is what I did I stated with 2 pieces of 5/8" fine threaded rods . the rods were the cut offs of semi truck air brake chambers so they are hardened grade 8 to start out with. and 2 5/16 socket head bolts a pair of fine thread 5/8 nuts and a pair of 1/2" fine thread bolts I wound up not using the 2 in the picture because I found a pair of 1/2" socket head bolts with better threads
    I drilled the rods with a 5/16" drill bit then counter drilled with a 29/64" to the depth of the white tape then threaded the inside to 1/2-20 TPI then filed flats on 1 end to fit a 9/16" wrench
    turned down and off most of the head on the 5/16 bolts cross drilled to the chain pin size and parted them off. cross drilled the 1/2" bolts and parted them off as well and ground flats on them to the thickness of a chain link. then sawed the 5/8' nuts in half to make 4 jam nuts
    this is how they turned out.
    Chain tension & load balancer-img_20211028_182516cht.jpg
    Chain tension & load balancer-img_20211028_185032cht.jpg
    Chain tension & load balancer-img_20211028_190157cht.jpg
    Chain tension & load balancer-img_20211029_121739tb.jpg
    you can see all 4 ends of the 2 chains once the chains are tight it is just a matter of moving the jam nuts one way or the other on either side of the machine to achieve the correct position for the part they are connected to
    Chain tension & load balancer-img_20211030_103102cht.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Nov 1, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Nov 3, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Chain Tensioner & Load Balancer to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Why not; works in probably every forklift on the planet.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Why not; works in probably every forklift on the planet.
    not quite, forklifts only have chains holding the load in a single direction. The way this works is the chains and sprockets become a double sided rack and pinion system.
    Forklifts have the advantage of gravity for their double and triple mast telescoping my unit does not so I have chains going it both directions pulling both ways the tensioners do the anchoring the balancing or equalizing of distance of travel as well as making all 4 chains work in unison keeping them the same tension.
    It may be a little hard to visualize but think of the tracks on a crawler except the sprockets are fixed distances the tensioner would be an imaginary spot on the ground say a big rock the sprockets are attached to the frame which is moved by the engine you stand on one track pad as the machine moves backwards and forwards you move twice the distance of the machine itself the rock sticking up in the track is the anchor and the tensioner in this case while you are the opposite connection point.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Oh yeah........gravity.
    World's first and greatest self-adjustor.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information