Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Cheap leather conditioner and personal rant (-You've been warned!)

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools

Cheap leather conditioner and personal rant (-You've been warned!)

Whilst having a 30-ish deg C heat wave here in Stockholm, taking a pause from my mini lathe teardown & overhaul,
    I figured it would be great to have my foundry PPE (suede leather gloves, apron, sleeves and boot covers) conditioned and baked.

Cheap leather conditioner and personal rant (-You've been warned!)-sunbaking-gloves.jpg

Assignment:
    -Go find the most easily acquired, priceworthy suede/ leather weatherproofing/ conditioning compound possible.

For restless readers, kick-seekers and draft- & insight-evaders too busy to follow: Please scroll further down for the conclusions.

Method: Research
    Being able to read is a necessary (but not sufficient) capability in striving for maximal cheapness. You need a critical approach too.
    Thus armed I searched and found a product (with almost a cult following amongst all their satisfied customers),
    a producer (with a homey & small-scale, environmental-friendly rural "Guarantee" to boot).
    Now, this company is not better or worse than average in marketing BS, thus I humbly doodled their "Brand" away.

Cheap leather conditioner and personal rant (-You've been warned!)-leathercreamcowboy-sic-bs.jpg

"-Awww - Isn't that nice? Swarming bees and Leather Cream Cowboys?" (Whaat? - Did they really name the pic like that?)
    As if that wasn't really enough, there's more:

Cheap leather conditioner and personal rant (-You've been warned!)-bs-guarantee.jpg

I took the liberty to underline the sentences of importance above. We'll get back to this. (-See where this is going?)
    So- what's my problem with this product and producer, you might ask?
    -Nothing wrong with the product as far as I can see, as you all will notice -
    it's the producers's own statements that pretty soon will get them into trouble, on the arrival of this: (-Uh-oh - here he goes!)

Cheap leather conditioner and personal rant (-You've been warned!)-leather-cream-comp-phys-chem-msds.jpg

Right: An ordinary Material Safety data Sheet with only "Beeswax" and "Heavy Paraffinic Destillate" (no proprietary substances)
    as "the finest ingredients nature can provide, derived from trees, plants and insects".
    Below: its density value, from which the proportions would be derived, as long as you know the density of the constituents.
    This math I kindly omitted in the following, when finally making this wonderful, natural product!

Critical approach and a search engine made the following detour before the long-awaited conclusion:
    1) Search for CAS # at the regulatory agency's database, regarding any deviations from mfg's statements or MSDS.
    2) Do a global search for what product that'll provide the cheapest and largest content of "CAS # 64742-54-7".

I did - and I surely found an easily and cheaply obtainable product: Auto Trans Fluid. 100% of above.

So to make ATF, you start with ordinary, fossil crude oil, which sorta IS from "plants, trees, insects" when you think about it.
    Well, that isn't what the mfg sez - and when I asked about it - neither was I answered on their page, nor did I get a reply.
    eBay hasn't even bothered to enter any critical comments to lower their revenues. (-Is this guy a Commie?)

CONCLUSION and Recipe:
    1) Melt 55% (of weight) of beeswax - (use a water bath if you're chicken!)
    2) Add 45% (of weight) ATF - cheapest is best, Dex II will do, NO synthetic stuff.
    3) Heat only 'til dissolved & mixed.
    4) Pour into plastic container (with preferably tapered sides) and let cool.
    5) Shake the "pink soap" out - apply by scrubbing it into leather - let melt and soak in by hairdryer or in the sun.

I dunno about your price for the amount you make, but you'll be better off than the marketed 108 bucks / gallon!

Moral (if any) of this story:
    "Any wealthy idiot can buy over-priced, deceivingly marketed or branded stuff (and even brag and "feel nice" about its traits),
    but it takes some brains, stamina and method to be a Cheapskate!"

Statement: "Abuse of MSDS like the above post suggests is considered a Federal Crime under the Industrial Espionage Act,
    but is also a formidable assault on, and a continously growing threat to Free Enterprise, National Manufacturers and Eternal Values."

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by DIYSwede; Aug 6, 2019 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Pics declined, now reentered

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

Inner (Aug 8, 2021), jimfols (Jun 10, 2019), Mazay (Aug 16, 2021), Moby Duck (Jun 11, 2019), rgsparber (Jun 10, 2019), rlm98253 (Jun 10, 2019), SteveJustSteve (Jun 28, 2019)

Thread Information