Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Circuits to reuse washing machine motors to drive workshop tools

Thanks

hotdog0627's Tools
    love your video. will try to digest it and use it on my dead washing machine lying around in he backyard.

I also LOVE your diskette cabinet... is there a video on how you made that

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Yes, for some time I was able to find a number of "free" treadmills but the availability has gotten less. So far I converted from AC to Treadmill: (3) 1"x30" HF belt sanders, (2) benchtop drill presses, (1) Craftsman 80" bandsaw, (1) HF smaller lathe -kept the pwm controller for speed control, helped build (2) 2"x72" belt sanders , and (1) 12" disk sander. Currently trying to convert an older shopsmith 10er because ac motor died. The variable speed that treadmill motors allow is why I started converting.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Since our horizontal bandsaw worked really well, perfect alignment, we took the motor and stand off and shipped it with our other stuff.

Now to find a motor.... A friend said "could you use this old Soviet motor I have?" He produced and old, but fully functional 3 phase, 380V motor with great bearings. Must have sat in storage for decades.

Anyway, my mill uses 380V 3 phase, so I just put a sub-panel for the mill and saw. A little Jerry-Rigging of the motor mount and had to bore out the pulley to fit, but now works fine. Being 50Hz, it does run slow so one day I'll find or make a better set of pulleys to speed it up.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information