Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Compact magnetic drill press - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,831 Times in 9,929 Posts

Compact magnetic drill press - GIF

Compact magnetic drill press.

Previously:

Homemade magnetic drill - videos
    Beam drill - GIF
    Angle drilling jig - GIF
    Cordless drill level - GIF
    Back saver drill attachment - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Ralphxyz (Oct 28, 2023), tuchie (Oct 24, 2023)

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    I would feel a lot better if the safety lanyard was visible. I've seen a magdrill drop from overhead when the RCD (GFCI) was tripped by someone else in the same circuit.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to desbromilow For This Useful Post:

hemmjo (Oct 23, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I was thinking the same thing. Those drills are great, until one falls off for one reason or another. I have to admit it, but I hit the wrong switch ONE time. Turned OFF the magnet instead of turning on the drill!!!!! Was a good thing I had the safety cable hooked up.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I think maybe the mag drill is about the only power tool the battery powered junkies haven't made yet.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I think maybe the mag drill is about the only power tool the battery powered junkies haven't made yet.
    Sorry to break it to you but Milwauke does mag drills as battery operated - and I will admit they work fairly well. (our local rental mob has them)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post
    Sorry to break it to you but Milwauke does mag drills as battery operated - and I will admit they work fairly well. (our local rental mob has them)
    interesting While I have little respect for battery tools in general the stupid batteries always seem to die sitting on the shelf, probably because I don't use mine often enough. The other thing about them is it seems you have to stay with 1 brand or another because of non-interchangeability for the most part. There are times when a battery tool happens to be the only logical choice

Edit I just searched for cordless mag drills and found Dewalt has them as well 20v flexvolt Pricy though $2300.00 Milwaukie $2629.00
    little hard for me to justify one LOL.
    Last edited by Frank S; Oct 23, 2023 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    interesting While I have little respect for battery tools in general the stupid batteries always seem to die sitting on the shelf, probably because I don't use mine often enough. The other thing about them is it seems you have to stay with 1 brand or another because of non-interchangeability for the most part. There are times when a battery tool happens to be the only logical choice

Edit I just searched for cordless mag drills and found Dewalt has them as well 20v flexvolt Pricy though $2300.00 Milwaukie $2629.00
    little hard for me to justify one LOL.

Frank,

I agree - Hoiki also make them, and I can't afford any of them. (My Magdrill is a $300 corded unit from Vevor)

Regarding battery tools, I am in a similar camp to you with respect to the annoyance of brand (and model) monopolies, and the concern of battery degradation. The tools have a place, and I do have a very small selection (1 drill, 1 driver) which have paid for themselves many times over when doing construction... but I am equally annoyed that the manfacturer (Stanley) decided to move from 18V Li to 18V plus - necessitating a change of perfectly usable tools since they will not supply batteries for the old system, and the new system is not compatible. I have seen countless serviceable tools dumped because obtaining replacement batteries is impossible, or uneconomical. I have started repacking my own batteries in cordless appliances (some success), and will be doing that when my Stanley batteries finally die.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post
    Frank,

I agree - Hoiki also make them, and I can't afford any of them. (My Magdrill is a $300 corded unit from Vevor)

Regarding battery tools, I am in a similar camp to you with respect to the annoyance of brand (and model) monopolies, and the concern of battery degradation. The tools have a place, and I do have a very small selection (1 drill, 1 driver) which have paid for themselves many times over when doing construction... but I am equally annoyed that the manfacturer (Stanley) decided to move from 18V Li to 18V plus - necessitating a change of perfectly usable tools since they will not supply batteries for the old system, and the new system is not compatible. I have seen countless serviceable tools dumped because obtaining replacement batteries is impossible, or uneconomical. I have started repacking my own batteries in cordless appliances (some success), and will be doing that when my Stanley batteries finally die.
    For some of the tool brand battery up grades they make adapters. I've taken my Dewalt 18v tools to 20v and now have clipped a bit of excess plastic off of the adapter so the 20v flex volt batteries will fit. but I have an older Dewalt 24v commercial Sawzall that nothing will fit

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information