Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Converting used 230 Disks to 115 Disks

Thanks

garage nut's Tools

Converting used 230 Disks to 115 Disks

I have always just used the worn down 230mm disks on my 115mm angle grinder without the guard.

But as I am getting older I hope to be getting wiser and have decided I would like to work more safely and set example for the younger ones.

I have lots of these and it breaks my heart to though them away.

Converting used 230 Disks to 115 Disks-convert.jpg

Is there any easy way to quickly get them to the right size so you can use the with the guard in place?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    couple of things spring to mind... #1 use a 125mm grinder (less to remove) or a 180mm if you can find one.
    Using the 9", run the worn wheels against a brick, or old grindstone to bring them down
    lastly (not nice) - use some bench shears to cut them down, then use the brick/stone trick to round them down under power.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    plenty of 7 inch angle grinders out there too,when they wear down to 7 inch, put on the 7 inch,i got a great buy on a metabo 6 inch angle grinder,on e-bay ,not a lot of demand for them..i am a scrapper, so i do this with the thin cutoff wheels..i first use them (when i can find them cheap online)on my 7 inch, then after they wear down i can put them on my 6 inch metabo angle grinder,(it runs really smooth,and is lighter and just as powerfull as my cheap 7 inch),where i can use them till they are 2.25 inch which is the same size my 4.5 angle grinder will wear them down to..the metabo 5 and 6 inch angle grinders are avalible with auto-balance,, which make them run so smooth u wont believe it,,u have to find one with an A at the end of the model name,like WEPA..what ever u do leave the guard ON!!! too easy to cut your self without !! and these days u dont want to be in a hospital...by the way what do u need a 9 inch cutoff wheel on an angle grinder for ?? thats pretty large.i get by just fine with my 7 inch , dont need any more depth of cut,in a angle grinder, if i need more depth i haul out the 14 inch cutoff saw,,and the 9 inch cutoff wheels are wayyyyyy too expensive..
    Last edited by madokie; Apr 20, 2020 at 07:10 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to madokie For This Useful Post:

garage nut (Apr 20, 2020), Philip Davies (Apr 21, 2020), Priemsy (Apr 20, 2020), rlm98253 (Apr 20, 2020)

Thanks

garage nut's Tools
    Also had the idea to make a custom guard to cover the larger discs, but inertia is quite severe with the big wheel on a small machine.

Had a quick look on the Net, no 6 or 7" angle grinders here in South Africa, #madokie where do you stay?
    Last edited by garage nut; Apr 20, 2020 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks
    here in the USA,,i am sure there are 6 an 7 angle grinders in africa and the middle east,plenty in europe ,.but i bet the shipping would be too much, but for a top grade metabo i might be worth it..

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information