Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Could this be a Superior Substitute for Hand Sanitizer?

Thanks
    Very true. I was taking liberties with terminology and should have, at the very least, put die as "die". Viruses were explained, in college, in terms that had those things (viruses) behave more as a "biochemical machine" rather than as living entities - but either description could be argued. So, that's how I came to characterize them.

That being said, they "die" in the sense that they essentially cease to be what they were before once their "guts" (RNA) are spilled - but I may be taking liberties again!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeVanGeaux For This Useful Post:

rgsparber (Apr 15, 2020)

Thanks
    Jon,
    Your preference for Lysol reminded me of a couple of things. My dad, a Ham radio operator since he was 14 (Technician Level when he passed away), who worked at Brown engineering in Huntsville, AL during the Gemini missions, swore by soaking his hands in a solution of hot water and Lysol nightly. We were running an antique restoration business at the time doing mostly furniture, and the splinters you get from 150-200 year old furniture get infected like you won't believe.

I also recall seeing a documentary on the CDC center in Atlanta, GA and all the nastiness they have in storage. Guess how they decontaminate the positive pressure suits when you come out of the hazard areas through the airlocks...you walk through a shower of 1% Lysol solution. Cheap, easy to get, doesn't eat up the clean suits, and kills just about anything in minutes.

As for hand washing, a major university medical center did a study decades ago that determined a good hand washing by vigorously rubbing hands together under running water, is almost as effective as using soap. Tap-water of course contains a weak solution of Chlorine.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    By now we have all heard about the life time tests for the Corona virus. Paper/cardboard a few hours, copper 30 minutes, plastic 1 day, stainless steel 3 days, and smooth surfaces 1-3 days. You can quibble on the precise time lines and/or the terminology of killing the thing. Bottom line, the goal is to stop its efficacy i.e., its ability to do harm. The World Health Organization (WHO) published 2 formulas. One with Ethanol and the other with Isopropyl. The WHO’s intent was an effective sanitizer, easy to mix, cheap, and with materials available in all countries. Ethanol and Isopropyl were chosen because all countries can get one or the other. The WHO formula (google it) will “kill” the virus within 30 seconds! That is why there is water added to it so the drying time (evaporation) is delayed a bit. Before you fire up your still just try to buy yeast anywhere today. Almost impossible!

PS: Percentages greater than 80% alcohol were found to be less effective than 65%-75% and the percentages are slightly different for the 2 alcohols. My numbers are recall only with no guarantee of accuracy. Do your own fact-checking.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Saltfever; May 3, 2020 at 10:39 PM.

Thread Information