Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Countersink gage

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I've wondered about the uses of 60 deg countersinks myself. I can't remember ever seeing a screw with a 60 deg included angle. Lathe centers are 60 deg on metal lathes and I guess the same on wood lathes. For metal we use center drills that have the required angle. I'm not a woodworker so I don't know how those folks make center holes for their lathe work. Regardless, they're advertised as "countersinks", not center drills, so I would expect the intended application is seating screws.

When I drive Robertson screws I use an electric drill with an adjustable clutch. The clutch slips before the head of the screw is torqued off.

The other type of screw that can be held on the driver is the hex-head self-tapping screw, e.g.,

https://www.amazon.com/Swordfish-315...tapping+screws

driven by a magnetic nut-driver, e.g.,

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW2235...tic+hex+driver

Not suitable for fine woodworking but, as I said, that's not my passion; my woodworking is more construction-grade.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 12, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    As near as I can recall My grand pa used the 60° countersink only when he was pinning pieces together with tenons the 60° included angle gives a tighter tap in fit also allows for a smaller surface profile in the finished product.
    I know at times he would bore tapered holes of around 10° for those times when he really wanted something to never move this way he could have larger diameter tenons without having the large surface profile

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Frank S; Jan 12, 2017 at 08:38 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 13, 2017), PJs (Feb 12, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Feb 12, 2017)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations mklotz - your Countersink Gage is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

We had a clear winner last week with rossbotic's excellent Machine Tool Dial Making Fixture, and this week was the exact opposite. One of these days I'll end up wearing a straitjacket in a white padded room, mumbling incoherently about utility vs. ingenuity, pondering my recent diagnosis of Homemade Tool of the Week Selection Dysphoria Syndrome.

Other nice entries this week include an Engine Tilter by brianhw, a Horizontal Mortising Machine by Marc Broussard, a clever Broach by astroracer, LED Lights by mattthemuppet, Bar Clamps by Tuomas, and a Lathe Alarm by mklotz. Especially notable was the Tool & Cutter Grinder by tonyfoale, which was quadruple-documented with text, photos, video, and even a spreadsheet. It will be a difficult candidate to beat for the January Best Documented Build award, and we may see future builds based upon the information presented.

The Countersink Gage, though very simple, surfaced an often-ignored but critical issue over 8°, and also garnered an unusually large number of Thanks votes. But ultimately what pushed it over the line was the followup, in which mklotz applied "assistance and encouragement" to rgsparber to publish a new design of the same tool. rgsparber's build, published 10 hours after the weekly award cutoff time, is unavailable for this award, and who knows what will happen in the coming week. Nevertheless, this is a clear demonstration of a valuable meta-quality of a tool builder: not only is it socially acceptable for others to build your idea, but they're encouraged to do so, with your assistance.

This is your 7th Homemade Tool of the Week win. Here are all of your other winning entries:

You'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, Giftrocket, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

Congrats again and nice job

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Marv's gauge is a quick check and sorting device. I can't offer much on the crazy range of countersink angles. The highest 100* and 120* offer broad contact and a thin head for threaded fasteners and rivets in sheet materials, i.e. aircraft. The only 60*s I recall using were considered 'center reamers' as in correcting mis-located spot drilling, and other limited use. Part of course, must be clamped.

Inspection wise, determining angle of countersinks is a little trickier. 82* and 90*, use corner of a flexible rule or paper. The 90* might show daylight, but will be parallel to the edges of the scale. 82* won't touch at the bottom. There are small angle gauges about size of pitch gauge leaves that range 5* to 100*[?]. Easily made though by a number of methods.
    Inspection dictates proper angle, diameter, or occasionally depth per drawings. Some prefer digital calipers for diameter. I get repeatable measurements using pin gauges. Better brands have a minimal corner radius. Whatever the tolerance range, that's the pins to select. The largest shouldn't 'fall' into the countersink when slid over it, smallest has to. At extremes, zero an indicator on pin set on adjacent surface, then positioned in the c'sink. If largest allowable diameter reads lower, the c'sink is oversize.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Congratulations mklotz - your Countersink Gage is the Homemade Tool of the Week!...One of these days I'll end up wearing a straitjacket in a white padded room, mumbling incoherently about utility vs. ingenuity, pondering my recent diagnosis of Homemade Tool of the Week Selection Dysphoria Syndrome.
    Long as you can recall, spell, pronounce, and describe the Homemade Tool of the Week Selection Dysphoria Syndrome diagnosis, you'll be fine. Just fly low of Nurse Ratched. Randle and Chief won't be there to warn you.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information