Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cupboard stairs - video

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,781 Times in 11,320 Posts

Cupboard stairs - video

Cupboard stairs.

Previously:

Automatic dropdown kitchen cabinets - GIF
    Unusual cabinet opening mechanisms - GIFs

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

carloski (Sep 24, 2022), Frank S (Aug 1, 2018), glenntref (Aug 2, 2018), Moby Duck (Aug 1, 2018), PJs (Aug 2, 2018), Seedtick (Aug 1, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Aug 2, 2018)

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Nice idea, for those places with only one single cupboard that's out of your reach

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.desertrat View Post
    Nice idea, for those places with only one single cupboard that's out of your reach
    I was just thinking the same thing. My partner would need all the cupboards to be like this as she can't reach any of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Looking at it I see no reason why it couldn't be made to lay to the left or to the right. and since it is only about 1" in thickness one of them could be included between each module at the time of install.
    I guess they could be a problem with people who have curtain climbers in their house they would probably want to install locks on them instead of parenting their kids.
    1 of my sisters brought a bunch of her g'kids over a while back the first thing she spied was my lack of locks on the doors and the wife's nick-knacks all around the house.
    She said OH dear we are going to have a problem.
    I asked why. Because the kids are going to get into everything.
    NOPE I said I' ll bet you that they will be on their best behavior the whole time they are here. I sat them all down and laid down the law of G'uncle Frank there were no broken things by the end of the visit.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 2, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Cool Idea and the jointing of it is very forward thinking. Mrs. PJ said "Short People Rejoice" and wants one now, thank you very much.

She said OH dear we are going to have a problem.
    I asked why. Because the kids are going to get into everything.
    NOPE I said I' ll bet you that they will be on their best behavior the whole time they are here. I sat them all down and laid down the law of G'uncle Frank there were no broken things by the end of the visit.
    Roger That, Frank. Only did one cupboard when mine were 2ish, where we stored the household chemicals. Removed that when they were 3. Only issue we had for a short while was them pulling the drawers out as stairs so they could reach the cereal...moved the cereal so they could reach it...all good. Gkids learn quickly too.

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 2, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,784 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A single 4x8 sheet of 1" thick film backed plywood could make 6 of them
    this is some of the strongest and best plywood I have ever found, it is just a shame it is so hard to find here in the states and when you do find it, it cost 4x as much as I could buy it overseas.
    18mm black browm film faced plywood / construction plywood - nijiatrade-com
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I like this...a lot; being not-so-awful tall. I'd be compelled to design a traversing aspect, along the line of a library ladder. Since the cabinets up on the right are no less out of reach as those on the left.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Aug 2, 2018 at 04:27 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 3, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    I like this...a lot; being not-so-awful tall. I'd be compelled to design a traversing aspect, along the line of a library ladder. Since the cabinets up on the right are no less out of reach as those on the left.
    Agreed TM51, being/not being vertically challenged is a blessing and a curse at times, Fridge tops, noggin bumping, cobwebs, squeezing in and out of small spaces and the overall worst...Do You play basketball? Bad question either way! Medium size people have the advantage, maybe Randy Newman should write a new song...

A good engineering challenge to make it either expand or dislocate and roll then be stable, reattach and fold up. Have to think about that. Perhaps a taller attachment to the side of the fridge with a top rail of some kind? Good one to light a candle, TM51!

PJ
    Last edited by PJs; Aug 3, 2018 at 12:34 PM.
    Mark Twain

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 3, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Agreed TM51, being/not being vertically challenged is a blessing and a curse at times, Fridge tops, noggin bumping, cobwebs, squeezing in and out of small spaces and the overall worst...Do You play basketball? Bad question either way! Medium size people have the advantage, maybe Randy Newman should write a new song...

A good engineering challenge to make it either expand or dislocate and roll then be stable, reattach and fold up. Have to think about that. Perhaps a taller attachment to the side of the fridge with a top rail of some kind? Good one to light a candle, TM51!

PJ
    I saw your post other day, mentioned being 6'6''. Lack of height isn't a challenge, we're concentrated! Justifies an impressive ladder collection. I've not touched a basketball since high school when they MADE us play, lol, also the worst pro sports fan ever.
    Otherwise we're twins...66'', if saving a foot ['] mark counts for anything.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 3, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    I saw your post other day, mentioned being 6'6''. Lack of height isn't a challenge, we're concentrated! Justifies an impressive ladder collection. I've not touched a basketball since high school when they MADE us play, lol, also the worst pro sports fan ever.
    Otherwise we're twins...66'', if saving a foot ['] mark counts for anything.
    Concentrated...I like that, especially the ladder collection. I hadn't played much until The coach hollered at me in the hallway when I was HS freshman and said...YOU, over here...walked over to him and he said...You're my new center...come to the gym. Mrs. and I are big B-Ball fans and I have been off and on since the early/mid sixties, Hockey once in a while, nay on the rest of them. Don't watch anything else but some Olympic stuff and Car/Bike Racing, but quit most when the IRL took over Indy and Can Am got nambified. It never dawn on me until someone told me I was 2 meters...kind of like that and its better than 4' 30"....4' 16" sounds much better.

PJ
    Mark Twain

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Aug 3, 2018)

Thread Information