Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Cyclone pre-filter for shop vac

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools

Cyclone pre-filter for shop vac

A fleamarket find for under two bucks and some scrap pieces started this fast, tiny project:
    An air-tight metallic coffee can (110 mm dia x 180 mm tall) with an old, free, discarded and eviscerated 3-phase,
    400 V 63 Amp CEE plug (original at left pic, top right) makes a "Cyclone Pre-filter" thru a 15 min DIY session:

Cyclone pre-filter for shop vac-cyclone-innards.jpg Cyclone pre-filter for shop vac-shop-vac-cyclone.jpg

Turn a 85-ish mm hole in the plastic lid, drill 4 bolt holes holes and fit between the plug top and bottom
    (that already has been relieved from the brass connectors and their holder).

Drill/ grind/ butcher a tangential hole near the can's rim, that'll just fit a left-over, chopped-off bike saddle post with Epoxy,
    attach a dishwasher emptying tube (always "a good keep"),
    and a piece of plastic conduit for a nozzle to get into all these tight spots.

Stab the nozzle of your household vac tube into the top, as the former cable grommet will give a squeeze fit.
    Use at desired noise & speed of your vac, and empty by just snapping the lid aside.
    You could also drop a magnet at the bottom for collecting tiny magnetic chips/ grinding dust, and stuff some coarse filter
    (as I put som stringy, long Al swarf) in the red exhaust tube (center left).
    This pre-filter takes also care of the really hot stuff: swarf and grinding dust, so your shop vac's dust bag won't catch fire.

Having just said that - the usual disclaimer applies: Be safe, do your own risk assessment and consequence analysis beforehand.
    -Don't come whining to me if you found out (and survived) that sucking up paint thinner or gasoline wasn't such a good idea.

Small to store, easy to use and clean, and above all: -DIRT CHEAP! (Bad pun intended)

Tip: Remember to save the fine free machining brass pins from the plug for future lathe projects.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by DIYSwede; May 23, 2019 at 02:57 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (May 23, 2019), Jon (May 23, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (May 24, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 708 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYSwede View Post
    ........attach a dishwasher emptying tube (always "a good keep"),
    Tip: Remember to save the fine free machining brass pins from the plug for future lathe projects.
    I like your style, I too save those sorts of things. I throw very little away.

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks DIYSwede! We've added your Shop Vac Pre Filter to our Cleaning category,
    as well as to your builder page: DIYSwede's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information