For a client's project (theatrical chain motor controller) I needed to make a large number of holes in a heave gauge steel panel. No problem, I have a hydraulic punch puller.
Except, I didn't have the right size punch and die in my set. Ok, I'll just get the right one.
Well, poo. The new die takes a metric sized bolt and my puller is inch.
Ok, to the lathe!
I made this adapter out of 0.750 drill rod and it worked great!
Don't tell anyone, but I had to make two adapters, part way through the batch of holes something shifted and the die jammed, bending the first adapter into an artistic, but less than usable curve.
Punch and die hardly showing wear
Ready to pull
Part of one finished unit