Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DIAL INDICATOR MADE WITH OLD MANOMETER!

Supporting Member machining 4 all's Avatar
    Thanks

machining 4 all's Tools

DIAL INDICATOR MADE WITH OLD MANOMETER!

The main function of a dial indicator is to center and align surfaces. So, this project works in the simplest and most practical way possible!

DIAL INDICATOR MADE WITH OLD MANOMETER!-thanks-view.jpg

DIAL INDICATOR MADE WITH OLD MANOMETER!-thanks-view-2.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by machining 4 all; Jan 30, 2021 at 10:53 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to machining 4 all For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 2, 2021), lassab999 (Feb 1, 2021), nova_robotics (Feb 7, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Feb 1, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks machining 4 all! We've added your Dial Indicator to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: machining 4 all's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

machining 4 all (Jan 30, 2021)

Thanks

machining 4 all's Tools
    DIAL INDICATOR MADE WITH OLD MANOMETER!-01.jpg DIAL INDICATOR MADE WITH OLD MANOMETER!-02.jpg DIAL INDICATOR MADE WITH OLD MANOMETER!-03.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to machining 4 all For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Feb 7, 2021)

Thanks

machining 4 all's Tools
    Idea never seen on this forum, agree?

DIAL INDICATOR MADE WITH OLD MANOMETER!-04.jpg DIAL INDICATOR MADE WITH OLD MANOMETER!-05.jpg DIAL INDICATOR MADE WITH OLD MANOMETER!-06.jpg
    Last edited by machining 4 all; Feb 1, 2021 at 06:29 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to machining 4 all For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Feb 7, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Feb 1, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by machining 4 all View Post
    The main function of a dial indicator is to center and align surfaces. So, this project works in the simplest and most practical way possible!
    Not to disagree, DI's operate to detect variances, centering and alignment fit that description. As your adaptation proves, this usage is one of repeatability, not accuracy, distinctly separate interpretations of position. It is possible to attain one, both, wrong or none to coincide.
    l, ;
    Mechanically, the manometer dial is correct. One drawback has contact not perpendicular to movement, introducing sine error. That detracts accuracy more than repeatability. Extending the lever arm ratio [increased point to axle vs axle to dial] would make this extraordinarily sensitive, reading extremely small increments, or 'resolution'. Again that is distinctly not same result as 'repeatability'.

For elevated levels of inspection, used in proper conditions, DI's are made capable detecting increments of .00005 [fifty-millionths] and less.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Feb 1, 2021 at 06:59 PM. Reason: slow night..........
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

machining 4 all (Feb 1, 2021)

Thanks

machining 4 all's Tools
    Toolmaker51, thank you for your interest and comments. As soon as possible, I intend to carry out comparative measurements, to try to relate the reading of the manometer with the actual reading of the dial indicator (if there is, of course!). Of course, the purpose of this project is not to replace the dial indicator, but to create a cheap alternative to perform the centering of a surface, since the mechanism of a dial indicator and a pressure gauge have similar characteristics. I hope it is clear that there is no interest, at least in principle, in the nominal value of the eccentricity, but in the location of its position on the surface (basic use of this instrument). I will try to post the results here, soon.
    Last edited by machining 4 all; Feb 1, 2021 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Understood. Applauding the utilization of similar action entirely at odds with original mechanism. I'd think adjusting ratio making dial increments approximate .001, qualify this capable of your intent.
    You might be aware of an indicator from way back, before watch-like designs, entirely lever operated. One great example is the Starrett No 64; not only one, just easiest to look up with results.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

machining 4 all's Tools
    I understand your concern and I should just add that unfortunately I don't have original factory tools at hand. My optimism always leads me to believe that the null hypothesis H0 will be a manometer = dial indicator with limitations.
    Last edited by machining 4 all; Feb 1, 2021 at 07:39 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to machining 4 all For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Feb 1, 2021)

Thanks
    Interesting idea. A larger scale movement would be easier to see. I wonder how a hydraulic cylinder attached to a low pressure gauge would work? (I made a unit along those lines to test the force of presses etc.)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans Pearson For This Useful Post:

machining 4 all (Feb 2, 2021)

Thanks

machining 4 all's Tools
    Hans Pearson, thank you for your interest and comments! Probably a greater movement of the pointer could be obtained by moving the point of rotation (fulcrum) of the lever. This is a physical principle taken into account, at least when analyzing forces. However, as there is no scale with smaller divisions on the manometer (as this instrument does not have this function) I believe that this project is particularly useful to fulfill the basic function of the dial indicator, that is, to find the eccentricity point to be modified. I made some measurements varying the contact pressure, I will post here soon and we will see if there is a consistent relationship between displacement and pressure. Your idea can be promising, develop your line of reasoning and if you find something, share it with me.
    Last edited by machining 4 all; Feb 2, 2021 at 10:20 AM.

Thread Information