Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Sears Log Splitter Repower

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools

Sears Log Splitter Repower

I was given an old Sears log splitter that needed some work. New it had a 5 hp B&S. Later it was fitted with a 6 hp Tecumseh.
    Sears Log Splitter Repower-img_1416.jpg Sears Log Splitter Repower-img_1414.jpg Sears Log Splitter Repower-img_1415.jpg
    The engine didn't run and the wheel bearings were locked up. I have a stash of Honda motors salvaged from old snow blowers so I decided to repower with an 240cc Honda. My main objective was to have the exhaust point away from the operator. This meant mounting the engine on the opposite side of the splitter. I stripped the splitter down and cut off the mount for the pump. The crankshaft centerline it two inches higher than the old power so I had to raise the pump bracket accordingly. I added a angle iron extension on the base to accommodate the motor. I bored and broached the coupler for the 1 inch shaft on the motor. I flipped the ram over for clearance and replaced the hydraulic valve with a unit that has a return detent. I also lengthened the handle.
    Sears Log Splitter Repower-img_1492.jpg Sears Log Splitter Repower-img_1493.jpg Sears Log Splitter Repower-img_1495.jpg Sears Log Splitter Repower-img_1494.jpg

I machined some new shoes out of brass and now I have a great working log splitter that I rent out..
    Sears Log Splitter Repower-img_1490.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IntheGroove For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Feb 2, 2021), Corm (Feb 8, 2021), dubbby (Feb 1, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks IntheGroove! We've added your Log Splitter Engine Replacement to our Farm and Garden category,
    as well as to your builder page: IntheGroove's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

IntheGroove (Feb 1, 2021)

Thread Information