Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A DIY Secret to Easily Turn Screws On Your Lathe!

Thanks

AB-SHOP's Tools

Smile A DIY Secret to Easily Turn Screws On Your Lathe!

Hi everyone,

I think anyone who has ever had to modify existing screws without building them from solid, for example due to the excessive length, but also due to the size of the head: it happens that this must be less thick for example or with a smaller diameter.

In this video I show you my version of a simple support with 2 screws, one inside the other, the smaller one acts as a block for the larger one, which being cut in half expands by opening (when the smaller one pushes) a few tenth by locking into place and pushing the screw to be modified.

The screw to be modified is mounted frontally, on the thread side or on the head side depending on the modification to be performed!
    However, the force of the tool tends to tighten the screw, in favor of safety.

Hope you like it!
    Alberto
    Attached Files Attached Files

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to AB-SHOP For This Useful Post:

byates (Apr 7, 2023), cjfearn (Apr 13, 2023), Dimitris Polychronis (Jun 30, 2023), Jon (Apr 6, 2023), kess (Apr 7, 2023), lassab999 (Apr 16, 2023), Lockstocknbarrel (Apr 20, 2023), mr mikey (Apr 6, 2023), old_toolmaker (Apr 6, 2023), PaulsGarageProjects (Apr 9, 2023), piper184 (Apr 7, 2023), Scotty1 (Apr 7, 2023), sossol (Apr 6, 2023), soundguy (Apr 11, 2023), trevor_60_r (Apr 7, 2023), WmRMeyers (Apr 6, 2023)

Thanks

greenie's Tools
    To knock down the head of a bolt like that, --------- why not do it the real easy way

Thread a nut onto the bolt and then shove the nut into the three jaw, then get at the head of the bolt with the tooltip.

Saves wasting time making that "abortion", eh ? :-)

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks AB-SHOP! We've added your Screw Turning Device to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: AB-SHOP's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Lockstocknbarrel (Apr 20, 2023)

Thanks

AB-SHOP's Tools
    Thank you for the definition of "abortion", it's the first time I've received such a kind compliment on one of my creations;

what you wrote to me is correct and I already knew how to do it, but it certainly wouldn't run coaxial;

I also wanted to create something different and functional, since you don't need spanner to lock the screw in position but only to rotate the 2 knurled parts by hands.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AB-SHOP For This Useful Post:

cjfearn (Apr 13, 2023), Jon (Apr 6, 2023), Lockstocknbarrel (Apr 20, 2023), mklotz (Apr 6, 2023), old_toolmaker (Apr 6, 2023), Scotty1 (Apr 7, 2023), trevor_60_r (Apr 7, 2023), WmRMeyers (Apr 6, 2023)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    To knock down the head of a bolt like that, --------- why not do it the real easy way

Thread a nut onto the bolt and then shove the nut into the three jaw, then get at the head of the bolt with the tooltip.

Saves wasting time making that "abortion", eh ? :-)
    Just because you don't see a need for such a device doesn't make it an "abortion."

Bill

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

Lockstocknbarrel (Apr 20, 2023)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by AB-SHOP View Post
    Thank you for the definition of "abortion", it's the first time I've received such a kind compliment on one of my creations;

what you wrote to me is correct and I already knew how to do it, but it certainly wouldn't run coaxial;

I also wanted to create something different and functional, since you don't need spanner to lock the screw in position but only to rotate the 2 knurled parts by hands.
    Not everyone needs a full-up lantern chuck, but for a lot of folks, putting the screw in a nut just doesn't give enough control. This is a good intermediate project for someone who wants to lightly customize some screws, but isn't looking at heavy production of complicated screws, or just making do. I like it enough to have download the drawings.

Bill

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

cjfearn (Apr 13, 2023), Lockstocknbarrel (Apr 20, 2023), old_toolmaker (Apr 6, 2023), piper184 (Apr 7, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Shelly142's Tools
    Very clever device for the modification of screws and bolts. I also downloaded your excellent drawings.

Phil

Thanks

AB-SHOP's Tools
    Thanks Bill, i think so !!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AB-SHOP For This Useful Post:

WmRMeyers (Apr 9, 2023)

Thanks

AB-SHOP's Tools
    Hi Phil, happy that you liked my simple device and my drawings too; it is the first time that i upload the drawings, i will try to do the same in the future post !!

A big ciao from Italy Phil,

Alberto.

Thanks

piper184's Tools
    Nicely done.

I like the idea of being able to work on either end from the same fixture. It gives the ability to hold any screw you have a tap for.

Another project for my "to do" list

17. The Following User Says Thank You to piper184 For This Useful Post:

WmRMeyers (Apr 9, 2023)

Thread Information