Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: DIY surface grinder

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    edit . . . The new project is a dedicated high precision CNC surface grinder. The table will move on linear ball slides and be driven by closed loop steppers controlled by my dedicated software. To test certain features prior to cutting metal I cut wood instead and mocked up the table and drive system to test whether the stepper size that I calculated would be capable of throwing the table and mag-chuck about at the usual surface grinding feeds. I used a 20 mm pitch ball screw to get the speed. I'll make the base of this grinder in epoxy/Granite and I have a piece of solid granite of suitable size to make the table from. I'll make a full post on this when it is finished, I will be getting back to it later this coming week.
    Wow,that sounds like an exciting new project. Knowing the quality of your posts I'm sure plenty of details will be provided. However, that 20mm lead really raises a question. 20mm seems unusually large, and considering the mass of your system (granite plate & mag chuck), it certainly increases the size of the motor! Care to share some of your thoughts about some trade-offs now?

This seems like a "smallish" sized project and would fit into my space. So I'm very interested in seeing how you accomplish micron-value alignments and the kinematics of the whole thing!

You are winning "the race through life", Tony. Keep that right hand WFO* on the straights! LOL

*Wide-full-open

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Saltfever; Mar 14, 2024 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,649 Times in 710 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    Wow, that 20mm lead really raises a question. 20mm seems unusually large, and considering the mass of your system (granite plate & mag chuck), it certainly increases the size of the motor! Care to share some of your thoughts about some trade-offs now?
    *Wide-full-open
    The screw with 20 mm lead works fine under my tests so far but it is not necessarily the final choice to drive the table. Back in 2009 when I was at Segway developing a project for GM we used a motor, pulley and wire to slide the top part over the bottom part. That is an option that I am thinking of using, it would be more tolerant of wayward grinding debris over time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EN-V

and video

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    You have an affinity for two wheels!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,649 Times in 710 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    You have an affinity for two wheels!
    Oh, we played with single wheels too.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

albertq's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    I have the drive but I am 80 in two days so the energy is draining rapidly. I expect that it will have deserted me within the 20 years that I intend to have left.There are a lot more races to ride yet.
    There's too much useful information in your head we need, to even think of slowing down Tony.
    I love your attitude to aim for 100. If you ask us kindly then, we may allow you to stop then.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information