Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: The Do's and don't of making circular clamps.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools

Post The Do's and don't of making circular clamps.

Making clamps for a mill or drill quill or a high speed spindle etc. would seem to be a subject hardly worth discussing, but I have often come across designs which are sadly lacking in some area. I have made a 17 minute video which looks at the good and bad aspects of design and manufacture.

Here are a few photos to wet your appetite:

The Do's and don't of making circular clamps.-dsc_1988.jpg The Do's and don't of making circular clamps.-dsc_1967.jpg The Do's and don't of making circular clamps.-dsc_1986.jpg Click images for full size.

The Do's and don't of making circular clamps.-dsc_1975.jpg The Do's and don't of making circular clamps.-dsc_1972.jpg The Do's and don't of making circular clamps.-dsc_1991.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

57_210 (Dec 4, 2023), Carnel (Dec 19, 2019), freddo4 (Dec 18, 2019), jimfols (Dec 18, 2019), Jon (Dec 17, 2019), Little Rabbit (Dec 18, 2019), olderdan (Dec 18, 2019), rendoman (Dec 24, 2019), rgsparber (Dec 18, 2019), Seedtick (Dec 18, 2019), Steved53 (Dec 19, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Dec 22, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks tonyfoale! We've added your Circular Clamp to our Clamps category,
    as well as to your builder page: tonyfoale's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Carnel's Tools
    Tony, I made a fixture for a Dremel for my drill-mill quill from plywood also with the Dremel placed eccentric wrt the quill. But the angular play of the quill made accurate work impossible. In your set-up the CNC ball screw fixes that problem. I am in progress now to make a centric fixture for the Dremel.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnel View Post
    Tony, I made a fixture for a Dremel for my drill-mill quill from plywood also with the Dremel placed eccentric wrt the quill. But the angular play of the quill made accurate work impossible. In your set-up the CNC ball screw fixes that problem. I am in progress now to make a centric fixture for the Dremel.
    Carnel,

You may find this post on a sensitive drill useful also;

DIY high speed sensitive drill press.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Carnel (Dec 19, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Carnel's Tools
    Hi Tony, very interesting video. The reason that I want to make a drill-mill fixture for my Dremel is that I want to use the cross table of it, primarily for milling PC boards. So a sensitive drill press is not what I want, but I like your detailed approach of that problem very much. As for springs and counterweights: are you aware that a DC motor can act as a torque motor? With the current setting you can easily adjust the torque which does not depend on the position, comparable with a counterweight. Also universal motors from home appliances can be used for this application.

Regards,
    Harry

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Cylindrical clamps with bad form are rather common. That shouldn't be the case, maybe accountants are in charge making band blades available. While extreme slitting isn't guaranteed bad, it can weaken an otherwise secure fit.
    Personally I bore size-for-size too, but the clamp is prepared differently. Often this entails drill/ tap of bolts, rough bore, separating the halves, milling the joint flat, reassembly with shim occupying what will be the finished split, then completing the bores. Yes, bit more labor intensive, but I rarely can tie up a machine tool for g-jobs. This helps breaking any process into shorter steps.

Tony's video features just about if not all considerations of successful cylinder clamp mechanics. Aspect being offset, would make [my] milled joint tenuous without CNC or careful trigonometry.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Dec 22, 2019 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Tony deserved better salute
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information