Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Dremelathe" diy woodworking station.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,836 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools

"Dremelathe" diy woodworking station.

Dremel "workstation" aka Dremelathe

Short overview from the features:

Hi

I shared these videos with my "Belt sander attachment " video.

But because this actually is more than a belt sander, i tought to make own thread to it.

Part one, is building the lathe frame:

Part 2, is continuing with the lathe, and belt sander stand:

Part 3 is beginning of the cutting and routing attachment:

Part 4 Finishing the router attachment:

Using it for wood turning:

I will update this thread with plans and new videos / parts later.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Tuomas; Dec 8, 2016 at 11:05 PM.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

byates (Mar 13, 2023), EvilShrike (Sep 23, 2016), gunsgt1863 (Jan 28, 2018), gustavogts (Dec 25, 2016), Hemi (Jan 28, 2018), high-side (Mar 12, 2020), irlysagh (Feb 11, 2018), Jon (Sep 13, 2016), kboy0076 (Mar 14, 2023), Paul Jones (Sep 11, 2016), PJs (Sep 15, 2016), rlm98253 (Mar 14, 2023), rnabakowski (Sep 16, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Tuomas! We've added your Dremel Lathe Conversion to our Rotary Tools category,
    as well as to your builder page: Tuomas's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

kboy0076 (Mar 14, 2023)

Thanks
    Very excited to see the plans. Great work.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,789 Times in 11,325 Posts
    Congratulations Tuomas - Your Dremelathe is the Tool of the Week!

Tough week to win! Nice Rotary Table from Metaler and Drill Press Table from morsa. Plus multiple good entries from jjr2001, who is rapidly climbing the Top Builders List with many new entries including a popular Optical Center Punch.

The Dremelathe is related to your previous win for a Dremel Belt Sander Attachment. However, it's clearly a distinct tool of its own right, and it's good to see it addressed separately. For more Dremel tools, see HomemadeTools.net search for "Dremel", including this Dremel Jig from mklotz and a Dremel Lathe Mount from Christophe Mineau.

All of your winning tools:

You'll be receiving an online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, Giftrocket, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

Congrats again and great job!

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rnabakowski View Post
    Very excited to see the plans. Great work.
    Thank you. I'll post them after next week. Need to check the measures and finish the router attachment.
    Last edited by Tuomas; Sep 18, 2016 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Congratulations Tuomas - Your Dremelathe is the Tool of the Week.

Thank you very much!
    Those are great projects, like so many others here.
    Didn't expect to win, but it sure feels nice. ☺
    Last edited by Tuomas; Sep 17, 2016 at 03:26 AM.

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Update:

Can be stored and used wall mounted too.
    For trim routing, filing with tungsten carbide cutters, sanding with sanding drums...

(Image upload failed.. it comes later.)

"Dremelathe" diy woodworking station.-28.9.2016-1.jpg
    Last edited by Tuomas; Sep 28, 2016 at 03:01 AM.

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Short overview from the features of it:

Its still not finished, im going to make a set of accessories to it too, but the main idea can be seen from this video.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I've long contended that one of the most universally useful tools is a motor with a chuck on it. Add a pile of bolt-on accessories and one can do almost anything.

In my shop there's a 1/4 HP reversible motor bolted near the front edge of the workbench. Next to it is a big box of accessories, everything from sanding disk to wire wheels and sharpening stones. It gets more use than most of my powered tools.

In a similar vein, like you, I've built numerous Dremel attachments that widely enhance the utility of the tool. Your video has given me some ideas about how to extend the utility of those attachments. Many thanks.

The other thing you've confirmed is the fact that, although hand-held power tools are useful, bringing the work to the secured tool allows for much more precision than can be achieved hand-held.

Congratulations on what you've done. In addition to clever design well-executed, you've helped encourage future readers to think about the wisdom of building around what amounts to a motor with an attached chuck. It's a perfect way for folks on a small budget to outfit their shops with a wide range of wood and metal working capabilities.

I do have one safety concern, though. Is that a knife you're using as a turning tool when you have the thing set up as a lathe? If it is, I hope you've ground the edge off of it. If the tool rest is ever set too far back from the work, it's possible for the tool to be grabbed and flipped out of your hands. Proper lathe tools are easily ground from old files or even concrete nails.

Thanks again for showing your work. It's a credit to both your ingenuity and construction skills.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Mar 13, 2020), PJs (Oct 5, 2016)

Thanks

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I've long contended that one of the most universally useful tools is a motor with a chuck on it. Add a pile of bolt-on accessories and one can do almost anything.

In my shop there's a 1/4 HP reversible motor bolted near the front edge of the workbench. Next to it is a big box of accessories, everything from sanding disk to wire wheels and sharpening stones. It gets more use than most of my powered tools.

In a similar vein, like you, I've built numerous Dremel attachments that widely enhance the utility of the tool. Your video has given me some ideas about how to extend the utility of those attachments. Many thanks.

The other thing you've confirmed is the fact that, although hand-held power tools are useful, bringing the work to the secured tool allows for much more precision than can be achieved hand-held.

Congratulations on what you've done. In addition to clever design well-executed, you've helped encourage future readers to think about the wisdom of building around what amounts to a motor with an attached chuck. It's a perfect way for folks on a small budget to outfit their shops with a wide range of wood and metal working capabilities.

I do have one safety concern, though. Is that a knife you're using as a turning tool when you have the thing set up as a lathe? If it is, I hope you've ground the edge off of it. If the tool rest is ever set too far back from the work, it's possible for the tool to be grabbed and flipped out of your hands. Proper lathe tools are easily ground from old files or even concrete nails.

Thanks again for showing your work. It's a credit to both your ingenuity and construction skills.
    Thank you Marv.
    I have seen a lot of your tools and other works.
    So, it feels good to read what you just wrote.
    You're absolute right.
    I supposed to make simple copying lathe for making wooden lures. Then i tought it could be more.

Im still going to make that copying accessory, and other improvements to this little later. I got couple other ideas what i want to do first.

Yep. I used a knife, but that was just for that quick try.
    Im going to use it with Dremel flex shaft mounted to that copying tool, mostly. But, i have made some turning tools too.
    That part was taken from the old video (i was lazy ).

Tuomas

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 5, 2016)

Thread Information