Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: drill jug for drilling holes in washers

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools

drill jug for drilling holes in washers

I made this jig or fixture, to drill opposing holes in the face of some 3/4" hardened washers
    drill jug for drilling holes in washers-img_20220308_150017dg.jpg
    drill jug for drilling holes in washers-img_20220308_152501dg.jpg
    It seems after I made these riser blocks I never run out of uses for them
    drill jug for drilling holes in washers-img_20220308_153943dg.jpg
    I can clamp from 1 to a dozen washers in the fixture using 1 that it predrilled as the drill guide for locating the holes
    drill jug for drilling holes in washers-img_20220308_164038sb.jpg
    Since the holes in the washers are slightly larger than 3/4" a 20mm bolt fits them very nicely holding them very close to concentrically centered
    drill jug for drilling holes in washers-img_20220308_162321sb.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (Mar 10, 2022), johncg (Mar 10, 2022), JTC (Mar 13, 2022), NortonDommi (Mar 8, 2022), Sleykin (Jun 8, 2022), sossol (Mar 10, 2022)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Just today I explained to a younger friend,(Chef by Trade who I am teaching a bit about machines),about how washers are always a bit larger than the bolt or stud they are intended for and how by mixing Imperial and metric you can usually get a closer fit if needed.
    The investment in those risers is certainly paying off.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    Just today I explained to a younger friend,(Chef by Trade who I am teaching a bit about machines),about how washers are always a bit larger than the bolt or stud they are intended for and how by mixing Imperial and metric you can usually get a closer fit if needed.
    The investment in those risers is certainly paying off.
    Also different grades of washers have different Id's and OD's, washers also have a top and a bottom when installing. On softer lower grade s this will be noted by the rounded edges on 1 side and sharp edges on the other, for hardened or machined washers the top is denoted by a slightly larger bevel on the ID, these rounded or beveled sides should always be installed next to the bolt heads, this is to lesson the possibility of creating a pinch moment with the fillet radius of the bolt head which could result in a stress fracture of the bolt. the hole Id of washers are larger than the bolt diameters for much the same reason.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

bob47907 (Mar 9, 2022), JTC (Mar 13, 2022), piper184 (Mar 10, 2022), Sleykin (Jun 8, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    “… washers also have a top and a bottom when installing. On softer lower grade s this will be noted by the rounded edges on 1 side and sharp edges on the other…”

I never knew any of this! Thanks!

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Washer Drilling Fixture to our Drilling and Drill Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

JTC (Mar 13, 2022)

Thanks

piper184's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Also different grades of washers have different Id's and OD's, washers also have a top and a bottom when installing. On softer lower grade s this will be noted by the rounded edges on 1 side and sharp edges on the other, for hardened or machined washers the top is denoted by a slightly larger bevel on the ID, these rounded or beveled sides should always be installed next to the bolt heads, this is to lesson the possibility of creating a pinch moment with the fillet radius of the bolt head which could result in a stress fracture of the bolt. the hole Id of washers are larger than the bolt diameters for much the same reason.
    Thanks for the explanation Frank! I always just figured the lower grade washers were shaped that way because they were punched but not ground. The low grade washers always irk me that the center hole is nearly large enough for the next size bolt. Sometimes you need that "slop" but usually it just diminishes the effectiveness of the washer.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by piper184 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation Frank! I always just figured the lower grade washers were shaped that way because they were punched but not ground. The low grade washers always irk me that the center hole is nearly large enough for the next size bolt. Sometimes you need that "slop" but usually it just diminishes the effectiveness of the washer.
    If you take a look an any structural engineering books there will be a whole chapter on minimum and maximum hole tolerances for fasteners with and without washers and specifications for the types and thickness of washers suggested for drilled or burned holes
    For most of my purpose's stamped steel washers are nothing more than a space filler or used as a cushion

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

JTC (Mar 13, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I think that, in part, you are referring to the differences between the SAE and USS washers as far as some of the differences go. Stainless steel washers can be a bit different in sizing as well.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information