Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed

Supporting Member
    Thanks

dgbreggin's Tools

Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed

The second major modification I made to my mini mill was to add X-axis power feed. It is one of my most-used mods. (Adding the DRO was first.)

I had a few important design considerations.
    • All components must be below table level
    • Clutch and other controls must be easy to use / service
    • Speed / direction / activation controls should not be mounted on the table (to reduce weight)

I thought a lot about limit switches, and finally decided against adding them. There were many factors involved with this decision. My particular model of mini mill does not have a T-slot on the front edge of the table, so mounting limit switches would be complicated. Also, when I installed the X-Axis DRO, I decided to install it on the front of the table. (The mini mill comes with the pre-installed "not enough Y-axis table travel" feature and mounting the DRO on the back of the table would only enhance this feature.) To compensate for the lack of safety offered by limit switches, I decided that table movement would be controlled by a momentary switch rather than a toggle switch. This means that you cannot turn it on and leave the area. It also makes "emergency stop" of the table very easy -- just let go of the switch. Having to hold the switch also reinforced the decision to not mount the controls on the table because you shouldn't have to hold a switch (or try to grab a speed control knob) that is moving.

I selected a motor based on the recommendation of another power feed project. (The motor is no longer available from the recommended sources, so I don't have links to share.) The motor is 12V DC, worm drive, and right-angle output. Instead of the motor turning a shaft, the final drive gear has a 4mm square thru-hole in the center. I think that this motor was originally made to operate the electric seat adjustment feature of an automobile.

Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-motor.jpg

Commercially made X-axis power feed kits are available for most mini mill models. The X-axis lead screw comes with a slot cut in left end to facilitate attachment of the power feed. These kits replace the left-side table endplate with the clutch assembly, and the motor unit is then mounted to the clutch. For my project, I made a new endplate. The new plate has a cutout for access clearance to the end of the lead screw, and a mounting location behind the rear edge of the table for the motor boom mount.

Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-end-cap-2.jpg

To connect to the motor output, I purchased a piece of 5/32" square key stock. This was a good slip fit in the 4mm square drive hole in the motor output gear. I made the clutch using an inexpensive 5/8" 12-pt deep socket and attached it to the end of the key stock with a coupler.

Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-end-cap-1.jpg

I made the lead screw extension from a piece of steel round bar. I drilled a close-fit hole in the right end to fit over the left end of the lead screw. I installed a roll pin across the hole to engage the slot in the end of the lead screw. I used 2 set screws to secure the extension to the lead screw. (I used 2 set screws because I thought that a single screw might tend to misalign the extension.) In the middle section of the extension, I cut a hex that was a close fit to the inside of the 12-pt socket. (Flats are 0.615" across.) The left end of the extension was machined round to a relatively loose fit inside the 12-pt socket, about an inch long. There is enough depth in the socket to slide fully over the round section and the hex. When disengaged, the round portion of the extension remains inside the socket to keep it aligned for easy re-engagement.

Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-extension-1.jpg Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-extension-2.jpg

I made a coupler to join the square key to the 12-pt socket. The socket end of the coupler was made from aluminum round bar. I cut a tight fit hole in the center, split it in half, cut flats and made threaded holes to clamp tightly onto the socket. The square key end of the coupler was made from two pieces of steel square bar. I milled a slot and drilled / threaded holes in each such that it would tightly clamp onto the square key stock. I then centered the two adapters and drilled and threaded holes to join the two adapters to each other.

Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-coupler.jpg

The boom mount for the motor is aluminum square bar. The mounting holes on the motor were not useful for my installation, so instead I used screw-type hose clamps around the motor body and made a "+" shaped mount. The mount was attached at the appropriate X location on the boom mount with screws. Vertical (Z) adjustment was made using shims. Y location adjustment was made by moving the motor body and hose clamps along the arms of the "+" mount.

Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-boom-1.jpg Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-boom-2.jpg

Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-mount-1.jpg Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-mount-2.jpg Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-mount-3.jpg

I made an aluminum knob for the end of the square key stock secured with two set screws (square shaft in a round hole). The knob makes it easy to slide the key stock to engage / disengage the clutch. It also makes it easy to turn the motor shaft slightly in the (relatively rare) instance where the 12-pt socket doesn't line up smoothly with the hex section of the extension. The coupling limits movement of the drive assembly to the left (disengaged) while the socket engagement of the extension shaft limits movement to the right (engaged).

Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-clutch-small.gif

Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-engaged-0.jpg Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-engaged-1.jpg

Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-limit-1.jpg Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-limit-2.jpg

The control unit was made from a PWM control with display and a 12VDC power supply (Amazon). The control box mounts an on-off switch (left), speed display (0 - 100%), directional switch (below display), a fast movement switch (upper right), and a speed control knob (lower right). I was not able to configure the fast movement switch to change the display to 100, so I just bypassed the speed control to connect full unmodulated current to the motor. The directional switch is a common car power window switch. To move the table to the right, you press (and hold) the right side of the window switch. Left side moves table left.

Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-control-1.jpg

I made mounting brackets to hold the control unit on the front of the top drawer of the tool cabinet / stand for my mini mill. When not in use, the motor feed and power supply are disconnected, and the control box can be stored out of the way.

Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-control-2.jpg

Then I re-made my left-side table cover to completly cover everything but the knob.

Mini Mill X-axis Power Feed-table-cover.jpg

What I would do differently:
    When I was making the coupling adapter for the square key stock, I spent a lot of time making the slots the appropriate size for a tight fit. I should have milled a "V" groove in each, instead of a square slot

Links & Credits:

I purchased the motor from AllElectronics.com
    As I mentioned, the motor I used is no longer offered by them.

Motor speed control:
    https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Displ...l+with+display

Power Supply:
    https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Trans...t+power+supply

Clutch ideas:
    https://littlemachineshop.com/images...Connnector.pdf

Commercial products:
    https://www.littlemachineshop.com/pr...5111&category=
    https://www.micromark.com/POWER-FEED

As always, I am happy to discuss (and post more pictures if needed).

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dgbreggin For This Useful Post:

Dimitris Polychronis (Sep 9, 2022), Home-PC (Sep 7, 2022), Inner (Sep 6, 2022), Jon (Sep 5, 2022), nova_robotics (Sep 6, 2022), phred (Sep 6, 2022), Scotty1 (Sep 5, 2022), yvonf (Sep 12, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks dgbreggin! We've added your X-Axis Power Feed to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: dgbreggin's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

mr mikey (Sep 10, 2022)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,782 Times in 11,321 Posts
    Congratulations dgbreggin - your X-Axis Power Feed is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

This predecessor to your later power feeds is a very carefully thought out and well documented addition, and it looks like it makes your mill a joy to use.

Some more nice picks from this week:

Demagnetizer by mr_modify1
    Metal Etching Method by ArmaBianca Creations
    Screwdriver by AB-SHOP
    Dog Point Screw by dgbreggin
    Drill Guide by rgsparber
    Belt Grinder Stand by Chips O'Tool
    Bender by orioncons36
    Bench Grinder by h7eh7e
    Pantograph Torch Support Arms by Frank S
    Mill Table Vise by tonyfoale
    Pantograph Drive Unit by Frank S

dgbreggin - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. You'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

More importantly - this is your 3rd Homemade Tool of the Week win! You join these other 3-Time Homemade Tool of the Week winners: rgsparber, rossbotics, mr95gst, Paul Jones, Christophe Mineau, Captainleeward, immortalx, scorch, Brendon, Frank S, morsa, mklotz, Philip Davies, Vyacheslav.Nevolya, brianhw, kess, LMMasterMariner, Don42, jjr2001, Tuomas, olderdan, tonyfoale, bobs409, Mikhandmaker, thehomeengineer, old_toolmaker, celsoari, Bellevue Woodshop, Stevohdee, Dr.Al, Kovanca Polock, Dimitris Polychronis, warsztatOdZera, Kwandotechnic, Mark Presling, Crusty, winkys workshop.

You'll notice the 3-Time Homemade Tool of the Week award trophy graphic in your postbit beneath your avatar.

Here are all of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

dgbreggin (Sep 9, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

dgbreggin's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Congratulations dgbreggin - your X-Axis Power Feed is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

This predecessor to your later power feeds is a very carefully thought out and well documented addition, and it looks like it makes your mill a joy to use.
    Jon:

Thank you for the kind words.

I am quite pleased with how it turned out. I use it often, and it really enhances the mini mill.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information