Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Driver rips off gas pump - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,821 Times in 9,923 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

DSTP (Aug 29, 2023), mr mikey (Aug 30, 2023), nova_robotics (Aug 29, 2023), piper184 (Aug 29, 2023), verticalmurph (Aug 29, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    This doesn't happen a lot, but it happens enough that maybe there should be a buzzer in the car that warns if your gas door is open. Maybe the gas pump won't give your card back until you put the pump back in the holder?

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Most stations employ Break-Away fittings on the hoses. I saw a car a month or so ago go by my house dragging a pump hose.

Years before I became a cop, there is a story about two of the old-time cops playing Quick-draw. They were ar the old Public Works Building and an employee was fueling-up their squad cars. Another cop was sitting half asleep behind the wheel at the city's gas island with the car running and in gear with his foot on the brake.

One of them yelled "Draw!" and they both did and shot the headlights out of an old city truck sitting there. The two of them shooting woke-up the cop in the car and he stepped on the gas, peeling oout and pulling the gas pump over....Took the pump handle right out of the guy's hand fueling the squad car.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tlnixon For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Aug 29, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    This doesn't happen a lot, but it happens enough that maybe there should be a buzzer in the car that warns if your gas door is open. Maybe the gas pump won't give your card back until you put the pump back in the holder?
    The simplest thing is to remove the trigger flow lock that way the lazy forgetful uh humans, 'using the term lightly' would have to stand there to pump their fuel.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Aug 29, 2023)

Thanks
    Yet another reason why a BEV is better. My Rivian R1T won't shift out of park if the charge cable is still plugged into the vehicle.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The simplest thing is to remove the trigger flow lock that way the lazy forgetful uh humans, 'using the term lightly' would have to stand there to pump their fuel.
    I've never encountered one with a working trigger lock. I'm not sure if that's legal here. I've definitely had ones with broken auto shutoff valves that poured gas everywhere. But I still had to have my hand on the trigger so I caught it pretty quick. I'd imagine that would be disastrous if somebody sets the trigger lock.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXsparky View Post
    Yet another reason why a BEV is better. My Rivian R1T won't shift out of park if the charge cable is still plugged into the vehicle.
    It would be nice for a grocery getter. I like the idea of being able to plug in at my house. But I have a work truck that just can't be electric. A couple weeks ago I had to drive 2000 km in two days, then back again for a job. In about a week I have to drive 1200 km (and back) for another job. That's a show stopper for me.

But realistically I don't like that feature, and I would probably have a tool ready in my toolbox to bypass it. I've had three cars over the years decide they would no longer function because the clutch switch went out. I don't like idiot switches going bad and locking out my vehicle. It's only a matter of time before some secondary sensor goes bad on your R1T and bricks the machine, probably when you need it most. That's why I like the idea of buzzer or warnings, rather than hard lock-outs. I understand the rationale behind a charging cable having a hard lock-out, but in general I'm against it. I don't like things like Tesla's retracting door handles either. It's a gimmick that WILL go wrong and strand you.

Edit: To add to the clutch switch example. I had a Jeep where I bypass the clutch switch. That saved me on a couple of occasions. Being able to drive 20-30 feet on the starter with a non-working engine has got me out of a pickle a couple of times. So there's utility in being able to operate your machine the way you want to operate it, but we also have to coddle the idiots. There should be a middle ground. Hard lock-outs are at the extreme end of that scale.
    Last edited by nova_robotics; Aug 29, 2023 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks

mr mikey's Tools
    I had that happen every couple of years when I had a station. Never a fire. Lucky. Sometimes when your busy fueling two or three cars at once you get the person that would drive off on purpose when they hear the pump shut off. That was before self-serve. S.O.B's
    Last edited by mr mikey; Aug 30, 2023 at 06:46 AM.

Thanks

baja's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    It would be nice for a grocery getter. I like the idea of being able to plug in at my house. But I have a work truck that just can't be electric. A couple weeks ago I had to drive 2000 km in two days, then back again for a job. In about a week I have to drive 1200 km (and back) for another job. That's a show stopper for me.

But realistically I don't like that feature, and I would probably have a tool ready in my toolbox to bypass it. I've had three cars over the years decide they would no longer function because the clutch switch went out. I don't like idiot switches going bad and locking out my vehicle. It's only a matter of time before some secondary sensor goes bad on your R1T and bricks the machine, probably when you need it most. That's why I like the idea of buzzer or warnings, rather than hard lock-outs. I understand the rationale behind a charging cable having a hard lock-out, but in general I'm against it. I don't like things like Tesla's retracting door handles either. It's a gimmick that WILL go wrong and strand you.

Edit: To add to the clutch switch example. I had a Jeep where I bypass the clutch switch. That saved me on a couple of occasions. Being able to drive 20-30 feet on the starter with a non-working engine has got me out of a pickle a couple of times. So there's utility in being able to operate your machine the way you want to operate it, but we also have to coddle the idiots. There should be a middle ground. Hard lock-outs are at the extreme end of that scale.
    My `94 Toyota pickup and my wife`s 2006 Tacoma both have factory clutch switch overrides. I miss that in my 99 Dodge 2500. Might just have to install one.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by baja View Post
    My `94 Toyota pickup and my wife`s 2006 Tacoma both have factory clutch switch overrides. I miss that in my 99 Dodge 2500. Might just have to install one.
    On most vehicles you can just reach under the dash and unplug the switch. On some cars you'll have to plug it then jumper the connector. But it's TOTALLY worth it. If your engine doesn't start you can still move the vehicle a bit. I drove up a steep embankment one time on the starter so I could get under my vehicle and change the fuel pump. That would have been impossible without the starter.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information