Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Driving a Formula One at Monaco

Thanks
    Hi Bob,

I've heard good things about X-Plane, though I haven't spent any time with desktop sims in ages (maybe 15 years?). I bet you're exactly right about lag and predictive algorithms.

Level D sims, though, are a whole 'nother thing. For those who've never heard the term, that's a class of jet (predominantly) sims approved for zero flight training (so you can get a type rating in the sim without ever touching the airplane) and generally used by the airlines and biz jet operators. Like this:

Driving a Formula One  at Monaco-0429_2.jpg

Ken

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member machiningfool's Avatar
    Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Yes Ken, I've never heard of level D sims until you mentioned it. Now that I think about it, when one pitches say down in a sim, the 3D view model obviously will move up, so maybe it is very difficult to match the view with real world result, I don't know, but it must be difficult if even level D sims also do it. Maybe they should get rid of the predictability portion of the program and concentrate on just the input, maybe it would be more real world. I do get a better real world reaction with X-Plane. Bob.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    That pitch effect is noticeable not just out the window, but also on the gauges. For all the visual resolution available, most sim training is, naturally, conducted IFR. The net effect is that it's twitchy to hand fly and challenging to trim out. Of course, most jet operations are autopilot-based from gear up on climbout to gear down at the marker (sometimes a bit sooner) on approach, so it's largely a button-twiddling exercise in real life. Easy-peasy.

Ken

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    I like X-Plane's real-time internet weather option. Most of my flight lessons were cancelled due to bad weather. In those cases, I could fly the same bad weather in the sim. Poorly, of course, but safely

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    I have been pouring over some more thoughts about the sensitive pitch reaction and realized after thinking about it, that there are quite a few reactions to a pitch input, like when pitching the nose down, the airspeed will increase and the aircraft would try to pitch back up because of the increased A/S and having to pitch the nose down even further, or reduce power. And there is trim, so you trim it, and the sim has to realize that, until stabilized, so I can see how difficult it would be to figure all of these inputs and produce a believable result. Just a thought. I can just hear the programmers talking about how many factors have to be considered to present an acceptable feel of the controls. Maybe some of them have never had a stick in their hand, who knows. Also, a program called FA-18 flight simulator (1996) emulates a carrier landing better than any sim that I have found. Bob.
    Last edited by machiningfool; Aug 7, 2015 at 04:43 PM.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Hey machiningfool, been playing with GT since it first came out. GT2 was what really made the game extremely popular, both to gamers and car nuts alike. The detail of setup options even then was very realistic, and the newer editions have brought graphics to an extremely realistic level. Sadly though, one still needs a real car to experience the sensual assault of hearing an engine shriek, tires slipping, your kidneys shaking, and your vision blurring. My favorite tracks in the game? Monaco and the Nurburgring.

I'd like to see your homemade rig, as I've been thinking of setting up one.

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Here are some pictures of my ghetto rig, ugly, but it's just like driving a Ferrari. The three switches control the six-way switch for the 88 Corvette seat. You don't need that, because I haven't touched it since I adjusted it the first time. If you haven't experienced GT-5 and GT-6, you are missing out, they are great. Bob.Driving a Formula One  at Monaco-img_2201.jpgDriving a Formula One  at Monaco-img_2202.jpgDriving a Formula One  at Monaco-img_2203.jpgDriving a Formula One  at Monaco-img_2204.jpg

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

DIYer (Aug 26, 2015), Jon (Aug 15, 2015), kbalch (Aug 17, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Thanks Bob! I believe you about the latest versions of GT. The demos I've seen on Sony showrooms are unreal! But, so many toys and not enough cash for a PS-4. I like your setup, especially that Corvette seat.

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Please be aware that the GT-5 and GT-6 versions only work on PS-3 not PS-4. A PS-3 can be picked up for 125.00 if you search. You can also buy the wheel, the one that I recomend is a G-27, for as little as 175.00 used say on Craigslist or Ebay. The problem is the screen, I recomend at least a 46 inch screen, if you are old like me, I am 70. Bob.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information