Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dry ice blasting a chassis - GIF

Thanks

piper184's Tools
    It is my understanding that the pellet size is controlled during manufacture of the dry ice. It has to be kept cold (of course) and it has to be kept sealed from outside air as any moisture in the air that comes int contact with the dry ice will condense and then freeze, sticking the pellets of dry ice together. This causes problems with the flow through the blaster.

The demo that was recently posted showed the blaster machine also having a cooling unit as part of it. I think that was for keeping the air dry so it wouldn't plug up the system. If I remember right, the person in the video was cleaning the underside of a car and it took several hundred dollars of dry ice to do the job.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Will they be outlawing that soon due to CO2 emissions. ??

2000 Tool Plans

English guy living in Germany for some years now
    Thanks
    There is a company not far from where I live in Germany that makes these dry ice blasting machines, I got a demo of one once for my company. They poured large bags of dry ice into the spray machine, it came out the nozzle as a very high speed powder which disappeared almost immediately.
    Works great, I watched it strip some pretty heavy rust, dirt and old paint etc.from some old farm trailers and ploughs they used for the demo. There was very little residue or mess to clear up afterwards, really only rust flakes and dust. Dry ice is not too expensive, and easier to haul around than heavy CO2 tanks for smaller jobs.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fizzloid For This Useful Post:

Dry Creek Smithing (Aug 31, 2023), Frank S (Aug 31, 2023), nova_robotics (Aug 31, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzloid View Post
    They poured large bags of dry ice into the spray machine, it came out the nozzle as a very high speed powder which disappeared almost immediately.
    That's similar to what I'm used to seeing. Big blue plastic boxes arrive on site, approximately 1 x 1 x 1 m (or maybe a bit bigger), and they're filled with chunks of CO2. The chunks are maybe the size of "B" gravel. The dry ice blasting machine does the rest.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information