Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dry spray paint in 20 minutes.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangi View Post
    Are you using the term "trades" loosely.
    Well it doesn't apply to the sparkies or tin bashers. It definitely applies to the iron workers, welders and millwrights though.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

mr_modify1's Tools
    Sorry don't remember mentioning trades in this video.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_modify1 View Post
    Sorry don't remember mentioning trades in this video.
    No not at all. But that's the ONLY place I've heard sweating steel repeated.

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    It's a very common myth all across Canada and the US with tradesmen. They call it "sweating out" the steel. They will swear up and down that there's water in steel, and that a torch makes the water come out. I've gotten into a number of arguments about this.

Also extremely common:

Gasses don't weigh anything. For example, a full bottle of argon will weigh the same as an empty one.

If you put an extension on a socket it will somehow make the torque "go away," and you need to increase the setting on your torque wrench. This one really gets me because guys overtorque bolts ALL THE TIME, sometimes to the point of snapping the heads off because the torque "disappears" inside the extension for some reason. If a bolt needs 100 lbs-ft of torque, you can be guaranteed that the tradesmen will tack on at least another 25-30 lbs-ft if they're using an extension. This isn't just common it's basically a rule among the trades. Drives me nuts.
    One of Propane's by products as it burns is water vapour. You are actually condensing the water onto the cool steel.

I hear you on the misapplication of torque wrenches as well. I have had those conversations. Go to where? Now there is a little loss in the sockets between the extension and the socket end. But not that much. A few percent at the most. Actually thinking this through that may be erroneous as well. If the rotation is blocked where in the ratchet - extension - and then socket is the torque disappearing to? Potential twist in the extension shaft. That is about it as far as I can think through.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Dec 19, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    Now there is a little loss in the sockets between the extension and the socket end. But not that much. A few percent at the most. Actually thinking this through that may be erroneous as well. If the rotation is blocked where in the ratchet - extension - and then socket is the torque disappearing to? Potential twist in the extension shaft. That is about it as far as I can think through.
    I actually worked this out one day and it's pretty interesting.

If you're using an impact then the "springiness" of the extension will limit the torque at the bolt. The extension is essentially a torsion rod and the impact is energy (or impulse?) limited. So some of that energy will go into doing work on the torsion rod instead of being transferred to the bolt. Somebody has already noticed this and turned it into a product. You can buy torque limiting extensions off the shelf.

BUT! If you look at what happens at the extension when you have a conventional torque wrench on there, the extension is sloppy at both end connections. It will bend over a few degrees in the direction of the force applied. That actually increases the effective lever arm distance between the point load (your hand) and the bolt. So if your torque wrench is set to exactly 100 lbs-ft, the fastener will experience a slightly greater torque, say 102 lbs-ft. The effect is small, only a few percent. But still. Opposite to what everyone assumes will happen.
    Last edited by nova_robotics; Dec 19, 2021 at 04:56 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Dec 19, 2021)

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    If you're using an impact then the "springiness" of the extension will limit the torque at the bolt. The extension is essentially a torsion rod and the impact is energy (or impulse?) limited. So some of that energy will go into doing work on the torsion rod instead of being transferred to the bolt. Somebody has already noticed this and turned it into a product. You can buy torque limiting extensions off the shelf.
    I've long wondered how those work. I understand the torsion rod principle (anyone who has fought a stubborn bolt would), but not how that ultimately limits rotation. Obviously the smaller diameter takes less torque to twist up, but that's where my understanding ends. It seems to me that the rod would store the energy until it reaches its limit, then stop twisting and transfer it on to the socket.

Neil

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I like to spray paint on fresh welds while they are hot, the first coat may blacken but another quick coat a few minutes later covers that.
    socket extensions eat a lot of torque on an impact gun, should not affect a manual torque wrench.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tooler2 For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Dec 20, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks mr_modify1! We've added your Rapid Paint Drying Method to our Painting category,
    as well as to your builder page: mr_modify1's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information