Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Electric panel circuit breaker cover

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Electric panel circuit breaker cover

Thes past few days with the temperatures hovering in the triple digits have found me taking advantage of the 24000 BTU AC unit I mounted in the end wall of my machine shop van. After installing a 20Amp 240 plug for it I ran a few pieces of conduit, added several more quadplex 120v outlets a strip plug under the shelf above my Mill table work bench and a light, Then I noticed I had added as many circuit breakers in the service panel as it could hold but I had somehow lost the breaker cover it was a salvaged panel to begin with so I may have never had it. I have been wiring more and more circuits in it for years and never bothered to look for it. So now that I am done with adding more circuits to that panel I made a cover I didn't care if it was fancy just something to prevent someone "ME", from accidently reaching in without thinking and getting shocked. Getting shocked by 120 or 240 usually doesn't bother me too terribly but if I happened to be sweaty or well-grounded that would be a different story.
    Here is my cover made out of 20 ga steel
    Electric panel circuit breaker cover-img_20230622_175905ec.jpg
    Now it just needs a little gray paint which I am out of currently
    Electric panel circuit breaker cover-img_20230622_182831ec.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Jun 27, 2023), mr mikey (Jun 26, 2023), nova_robotics (Jun 26, 2023), piper184 (Jun 27, 2023), rgsparber (Jun 26, 2023), Scotty1 (Jun 26, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Circuit Breaker Cover to our Electrical category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Somewhere I think I have the outer cover that hides the breakers but it still needed this cover to prevent electrical shock

Thanks

piper184's Tools
    Ha! At first glance I though it was made out of OSB!

Maybe you should paint it up with one of those rubber pads that make paint look like wood grain. Quite the conversation starter!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by piper184 View Post

Maybe you should paint it up with one of those rubber pads that make paint look like wood grain. Quite the conversation starter!

Preventing accidental electric shock is not the only purpose of the cover. It also keeps any potential fire enclosed within the breaker panel so wood or other flamable mterials in the wall will not ignite.

Thanks

piper184's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry F View Post
    Preventing accidental electric shock is not the only purpose of the cover. It also keeps any potential fire enclosed within the breaker panel so wood or other flamable mterials in the wall will not ignite.
    Oh I understand that completely. That is why it caught my attention when I first saw the tiny thumbnail photo in the email containing the post from Frank. I also know that Frank always does things properly and wouldn't use wood. Hence my suggestion to make it look like wood, just for the fun of seeing peoples expressions when they see it.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Oh I understand that completely. That is why it caught my attention when I first saw the tiny thumbnail photo in the email containing the post from Frank. I also know that Frank always does things properly and wouldn't use wood. Hence my suggestion to make it look like wood, just for the fun of seeing peoples expressions when they see it.
    Frank always does things properly??? If only, LOL. But the idea to paint it so it appeared to be made of wood is something one shouldn't plant into my often warped sense of humor

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

piper184 (Jun 29, 2023)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    If you do paint it, use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools

I used to work at a bunch of OSB mills. One of them was a complete **** show. The electrical super had a cardboard cover on a 575v 3 phase panel, and had a small temporary transformer sitting on the concrete just in front of the panel. He overloaded the crap out of this poor little transformer and it caught on fire. His braindead zombie electricians were standing around the transformer looking at the flames IN AN OSB MILL, and I lost my mind at them. They couldn't even put it together to turn the breaker off and cut power to the transformer. I started screaming at them to do things, and they just waddled around at 0.1 mph because they were told not to run on a job site. They also used to do things like string single conductors in no conduit across the ceiling to energize 277v lighting circuits. I tried to get them kicked off site. Union stepped in and protected them. Good job guys.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    My other house (water was hooked up to it in 1901) was in a very old part of town. A multi-story, house across the street owned by one family for over 100 years was sold when the last old batchelor son passed away. It had an electrical box made of wood, and lined with sheet asbestos. It still had the original single 20 Amp fuse wire that was twisted between two screws and tightened-down. There was a small roll of the fuse wire provided. The only thing they had that was electrical was lights in those days.

Thread Information