Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Storage shelf work bench combo

Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 4,211 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Storage shelf work bench combo

I should never be left unsupervised in my own shop.
    Work wise this whole week was a bomb, It seemed like almost every day there was someplace we absolutely had to go try to leave early in the mornings which consequently would be the best time to work in the shop to avoid the 100+ degree weather in the afternoons. By the time we returned the only thing I wanted to do was try and find things to do inside the Airconditioned machine shop van. LOL. I had 2 or 3 good sized projects scheduled but they didn't show up, kind of glad they haven't. I also wanted or actually needed to run some conduit and add more 120v outlets, but first I had to move some things away from the wall. Decided to insulate part of the wall while it was clear of debris then ran the conduit.
    Now what to do with this empty wall space? I know I'll add a shelf to store my acid vat on and get it up out of the way until the next time I need it 7ft off the floor should be about right, Ok I'll put a small work bench shelf below it and of course add another wrench rack so I can have wrenches right there at the work station OK, why not add a bar above it to hold a few "C" clamps that will make them real handy for the fabrication and assembly table 5 feet away.
    Just out of camera to the left in front of this shelf bench is the 5 by8 ft steel fab/ assembly table
    Storage shelf work bench combo-img_20230702_151547ws.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Scotty1 (Jul 3, 2023)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Since I can never leave well enough alone I added a strip of 1/8x3" metal to the back board to hang magnets and magnetic tools on
    And a 4 ft LED light
    Storage shelf work bench combo-img_20230703_225654wb.jpg

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 4, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Storage Shelf and Workbench to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Hell yes, Frank S.

1. A work table backed up to wall, nothing rolling into oblivion.
    2. Another shelf over head. I want a dollar every time hearing 'I'm out of room'. Well yeah, your floor is full, what about all this un-utilized cubic space?
    3. Rack for hanging the clamps, not clamped-to version. With most clamping being one handed to start, that's huge. BTW, "F" clamps hang best inverted. Grab it below sliding jaw, you can manipulate into position one handed, then draw up before snug or tightening.
    4. Local lighting, not only because of shelf blocking light from above, certain work easier by casting more intense light in a different direction than 8', 10' or 12' above.
    5. Unsure about wrench rack. Hanging from edge is easily reached, might be obstruction wheeling a cart around. (Except in 'our middle name is elbow room' Texas). A magnetic bar loaded with pegs makes choice an either/ or. The only magnetic strips I like hold screwdriver type tools, where residual magnetism is helpful, and tramp iron filings are easily removed.
    6. Maybe a small clamp on portable vise, not bolted. A permanent mounted swivel vise should be able to swing with a 2' or 3' piece hanging out one end, outboard jaw over end of bench so chips land on floor. All the hack sawing, pipe threading, pipe screwing, end drill & tapping, tack welding guys should know what I mean.
    7. Meanwhile, mount fixed or stationary vises with non-moving jaw plumb to bench edge, (great support for long parts).
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jul 4, 2023)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Hell yes, Frank S.

1. A work table backed up to wall, nothing rolling into oblivion.
    2. Another shelf over head. I want a dollar every time hearing 'I'm out of room'. Well yeah, your floor is full, what about all this un-utilized cubic space?
    3. Rack for hanging the clamps, not clamped-to version. With most clamping being one handed to start, that's huge. BTW, "F" clamps hang best inverted. Grab it below sliding jaw, you can manipulate into position one handed, then draw up before snug or tightening.
    4. Local lighting, not only because of shelf blocking light from above, certain work easier by casting more intense light in a different direction than 8', 10' or 12' above.
    5. Unsure about wrench rack. Hanging from edge is easily reached, might be obstruction wheeling a cart around. (Except in 'our middle name is elbow room' Texas). A magnetic bar loaded with pegs makes choice an either/ or. The only magnetic strips I like hold screwdriver type tools, where residual magnetism is helpful, and tramp iron filings are easily removed.
    6. Maybe a small clamp on portable vise, not bolted. A permanent mounted swivel vise should be able to swing with a 2' or 3' piece hanging out one end, outboard jaw over end of bench so chips land on floor. All the hack sawing, pipe threading, pipe screwing, end drill & tapping, tack welding guys should know what I mean.
    7. Meanwhile, mount fixed or stationary vises with non-moving jaw plumb to bench edge, (great support for long parts).
    The edge of the bench extends about 5 inches out over the wrench rack placing them well out of harm's way for most instances.
    I do have a small vice I can clamp on when or if I ever need it. Not that this bench was ever meant as a heavy-duty work bench. more of an accessory flat spot to lat the things I need to assist me while working at the main assembly/ fabrication table. There is nothing more infuriating to me than working on a large assembly and having to lay my tools on the same table I am trying to assemble or fabricate something. It seems I always have drills grinders wrenches and small parts getting in my way and constantly having to move them around. This affords me a place for such articles still within arm's reach most times and never right in the way.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The edge of the bench extends about 5 inches out over the wrench rack placing them well out of harm's way for most instances.
    I do have a small vice I can clamp on when or if I ever need it. Not that this bench was ever meant as a heavy-duty work bench. more of an accessory flat spot to lat the things I need to assist me while working at the main assembly/ fabrication table. There is nothing more infuriating to me than working on a large assembly and having to lay my tools on the same table I am trying to assemble or fabricate something. It seems I always have drills grinders wrenches and small parts getting in my way and constantly having to move them around. This affords me a place for such articles still within arm's reach most times and never right in the way.
    Elbow room in Texas, yeah got to have it. I'm on the lookout for a building close enough to me to be able to take down and hauled away to the price of taking it down. There is an old cotton gin sans most of the equipment, within eyesight of my shop that I have been trying to convince the owner his property would be more valuable without it being there. If I could get my hands on it I could add an additional 10,000 sq. ft. to the back side of my shop

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Thread Information