Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: English/metric measurement error in the Mars Climate Orbiter

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Where then do we quench our thirst for lowly but almighty zero's?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Yep I agree - both
    its worked brilliantly for me over the last 20907248182351.028089724211549023 Kmh or 48 years if you want to be technical.
    I often measure steel with mixed metric and imperial measurements sometime its easier to see an exact mark at 4 inch's than give an approximate mm measurement.
    I do think the American system has more merit than the old English measurements like Whitworth etc. Perhaps where we are getting it wrong is trying to standardise. Old aircraft flew and new ones fail due to errors ? Just ignore that small section of aviation history where the comets kept falling out of the sky - funny they still do, the RAF has lost a few in the last 20 years. (otherwise known as Nimrod or comet mk4).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Comet

And these are the brand new ones we scrapped with zero hours on the clock (there you go toolmaker a zero for you).
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/0...rod_scrappage/

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Apr 15, 2019 at 03:08 AM.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    It gets worse we we trust computers which are really bad at math. And yet the disasters are not just for home users.
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...ndows_crashes/

Sort of off topic but still on if you get my drift is this artical i came across on the same search for comet info

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/1...ghty_language/

Have i read this correctly googles filtering server searched its own database and shut itself down ?
    Are they getting fed up of our searches containing f-ing google this that or the other when their service is less than perfect.

We have gone full circle to the early space crashes that involved the dreaded missing jump returns in code leading to code stalling and the inevitable crash.

When are programmers going to stop being narcissists and admit they are not perfect.
    we will all suffer the day they remove the OFF switch.
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Apr 15, 2019 at 03:34 AM.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MeJasonT View Post
    It gets worse we we trust computers which are really bad at math. And yet the disasters are not just for home users.
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...ndows_crashes/
    Computers are rarely bad at mathematical computations, however, programmers often are.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tonyg For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Apr 15, 2019)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    A rant about PC reliability.

Its a shame that they are only able to do addition and subtraction to achieve complex computations and are truncated by there limited word length of bits, as for random numbers even using monte carlo is realistically beyond the capability of a PC to truly generate a random number. The fact they are cyclic is also hindrance.
    And yet we argue the far end of a fart that computers are reliable and the operators/programmers are to blame. Programmers are to blame, they are trying to convince us we need to have our every whim catered for by machines. If you build something really reliable and it makes loads of money upgrade it to a new one so the old reliable one becomes obsolete so you can sell an unfinished glitchy unreliable one.
    Its a pain in the bum hole that our governments have decided our whole life will be online to acquire benefits, pay bills, apply for licences etc and yet the reliability of the whole infrastructure is questionable at best.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MeJasonT View Post
    Yep I agree - both
    its worked brilliantly for me over the last 20907248182351.028089724211549023 Kmh or 48 years if you want to be technical.
    I often measure steel with mixed metric and imperial measurements sometime its easier to see an exact mark at 4 inch's than give an approximate mm measurement.
    I do think the American system has more merit than the old English measurements like Whitworth etc. Perhaps where we are getting it wrong is trying to standardise. Old aircraft flew and new ones fail due to errors ? Just ignore that small section of aviation history where the comets kept falling out of the sky - funny they still do, the RAF has lost a few in the last 20 years. (otherwise known as Nimrod or comet mk4).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Comet

And these are the brand new ones we scrapped with zero hours on the clock (there you go toolmaker a zero for you).
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/0...rod_scrappage/
    I assume from this that you have only looked at distances in American Imperial measures. The liquid volumes are about 20% smaller than the English equivalents. This all goes back to the American Pint being 16 ounces and the original English pint being 20 ounces. It really would be simpler if everyone used the Metric system. Powers of ten for multipliers.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew1966 For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Apr 15, 2019), volodar (Apr 15, 2019)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    I have now got to a point in life where i have decided to have the attitude of whatever floats the boat, 4oz such an insignificant figure.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1966 View Post
    It really would be simpler if everyone used the Metric system. Powers of ten for multipliers.
    Then we would not be able to use those lovely rods, poles and perches. We would have to keep chains of course, how else could you lay out a cricket pitch? One could not expect the MCC to go metric, just not cricket old boy.
    I was always aware of the time spent (wasted) on learning £ s p arithmetic in school. At least the Americans have had the good sense to always use decimal currency, so it seems strange that most are resistant to the idea of decimal measurements in general.
    Apart from the decimal nature of the ISO metric system the thing that I like the best is the consistency of the units. If you forget what certain derived units are you only have to use the base units of kg, m and sec to get reminded.

What is a newton - we know it is a force and as F=ma a N must be kg.m/sec^2
    What is a joule - it is work so it has to be force x distance which is Nm. So 1 joule = 1 Nm
    What is a watt - it is power so it has to be work/time which is joule/sec or Nm/sec So 1 watt = 1 joule/sec = 1 Nm/sec
    What is a pascal - it is pressure so it has to be force/area which is N/m^2 So 1 pascal = 1 N/m^2

That is as simple as it gets. This consistency of the units reduces the chance of errors greatly.
    Do not just think of the ISO metric system as being only a decimal system, it goes much further than that.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Drew1966 (Apr 15, 2019), MeJasonT (Apr 15, 2019), volodar (Apr 15, 2019)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    I'm currently making a tripod stand for a garden sculpture/armillary one leg is 15 3/4 " and the other two are 40mm the circumference at the base is 7 3/4" and only one fathom and that is can anyone fathom out what the hell I'm supposed to be doing - just yards away from reality.

why is a Newton in metric anyways, isn't he pre decimalisation

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Apr 15, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    Apart from the decimal nature of the ISO metric system the thing that I like the best is the consistency of the units. If you forget what certain derived units are you only have to use the base units of kg, m and sec to get reminded.

What is a newton - we know it is a force and as F=ma a N must be kg.m/sec^2
    What is a joule - it is work so it has to be force x distance which is Nm. So 1 joule = 1 Nm
    What is a watt - it is power so it has to be work/time which is joule/sec or Nm/sec So 1 watt = 1 joule/sec = 1 Nm/sec
    What is a pascal - it is pressure so it has to be force/area which is N/m^2 So 1 pascal = 1 N/m^2

That is as simple as it gets. This consistency of the units reduces the chance of errors greatly.
    While the inferial system has such idiocies as "fluid-ounce" which is a measure of volume, not weight.

Do not just think of the ISO metric system as being only a decimal system, it goes much further than that.
    For more on that, folks can visit my essay...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/g...1486#post93973
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

volodar (Apr 15, 2019)

Thread Information