Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Extra long forklift extension - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,832 Times in 9,930 Posts

Extra long forklift extension - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Nov 25, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Something tells me that extension is made out of anti-gravity material.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Gadgeteer; Nov 25, 2023 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgeteer View Post
    Something tells me that extension is made out of anti-gravity material.
    No but it is probably about all the forklift can pick up without the load of the pallet. If you note the wide base at the end where the forks are that probably has rollers under it or a low friction pad. once the forks are under the pallet the driver would lower the forks on the mast causing the extension to become a fulcrum adding just enough lift under the pallet to free it from the floor he then drives backwards until the pallet is close enough to retrieve normally by another forklift or after he removes the extension, Call it a Poorman's telehandler. for the situation. But it sure beats having to use a pallet jack.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    As an in reach and pull/push device fine, don't try to lift anything though. I was called to investigate a pedestrian forklift incident that broke legs, and it was pure luck the operator was in the corner of a building and the forklift couldn't hit him more that saved his life, that it had 'home-made' untested (thus illegal) extensions doubling the length of the forks, without the requisite additional counter-weight and they didn't know the eight and CoG of the box they were trying to unload completed the problem, as it dropped off the back of the truck the forks dropped pivoting around the front axle lifting the rear powered/braked/steering wheels off the road, then as it and the extensions slid off the forks it launched the forklift and operator into the corner of the building.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NeiljohnUK For This Useful Post:

Gadgeteer (Nov 28, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NeiljohnUK View Post
    As an in reach and pull/push device fine, don't try to lift anything though. I was called to investigate a pedestrian forklift incident that broke legs, and it was pure luck the operator was in the corner of a building and the forklift couldn't hit him more that saved his life, that it had 'home-made' untested (thus illegal) extensions doubling the length of the forks, without the requisite additional counter-weight and they didn't know the eight and CoG of the box they were trying to unload completed the problem, as it dropped off the back of the truck the forks dropped pivoting around the front axle lifting the rear powered/braked/steering wheels off the road, then as it and the extensions slid off the forks it launched the forklift and operator into the corner of the building.
    I would, sure, like to see of video of that occurrence.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information