Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Extreme Belt Grinder 5.3x78.5"

Thanks

TomBuilder's Tools

Extreme Belt Grinder 5.3x78.5"

Hello, everyone! My name is Tom and I would like to introduce you as a new member to my recently created device

Extreme Belt Grinder 5.3x78.5"-belt.jpg

Powerful belt grinder with a width of almost 6 inches (15 cm). The 3kW motor provides a power reserve for the toughest materials. The machine can be used horizontally and vertically. Control system implemented by the Taco 7300 inverter.

Best regards,
    Tom

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to TomBuilder For This Useful Post:

Altair (Sep 8, 2019), baja (Sep 11, 2019), bustre00 (Oct 28, 2021), Duke_of_URL (Oct 28, 2021), high-side (Sep 11, 2019), Jon (Sep 8, 2019), mwmkravchenko (Sep 10, 2019), nova_robotics (Oct 28, 2021), ranald (Sep 15, 2019), rlm98253 (Sep 10, 2019), Slim-123 (Sep 10, 2019), TheElderBrother (Nov 2, 2021), Tule (Sep 11, 2019), Tuomas (Nov 8, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,709 Times in 9,873 Posts

Thanks TomBuilder! We've added your Belt Grinder to our Belt Sanders and Grinders category,
    as well as to your builder page: TomBuilder's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

shopandmath (Sep 11, 2019)

Thanks
    Nice Job.... a Unique Design.

Thanks
    Nice design. Looks well thought out and executed. I would have liked to hear the grinder in action rather than the dramatic music.
    Pat

Supporting Member TheElderBrother's Avatar
    Thanks
    Damn. That is dead sexy.

What is the benefit of the wider belt over a 2x72" in practical terms? What kinds of jobs can you do now, or do more easily/quickly/properly, that you couldn't do before?

I have a 2x72" grinder and do mostly knifemaking, so we're in hog heaven, grinder-wise, except we may add a VFD one day. But between this one and the monster that the guy made at Fireball Tool, I'm wondering if there isn't something I'm missing out on.

(I know there probably isn't, but I still think this is a damned fine piece of machinery and I just want one now.)
    Last edited by TheElderBrother; Nov 2, 2021 at 11:49 PM. Reason: I thought of something else to say...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by TheElderBrother View Post
    Damn. That is dead sexy.

What is the benefit of the wider belt over a 2x72" in practical terms? What kinds of jobs can you do now, or do more easily/quickly/properly, that you couldn't do before?

I have a 2x72" grinder and do mostly knifemaking, so we're in hog heaven, grinder-wise, except we may add a VFD one day. But between this one and the monster that the guy made at Fireball Tool, I'm wondering if there isn't something I'm missing out on.

(I know there probably isn't, but I still think this is a damned fine piece of machinery and I just want one now.)
    We have grinder with that belt size at my workplace, grinder is different though.

Wider belt is handy when cleaning smaller parts cut with plasma.

When belt is wider than workpiece, you get finished result just by pushing part against the belt, then when slowly tilting part you get rounded edge too. Equal result, no gaps and faster way to work.

With narrow belt it requires much more attention to get equal result.
    Of course, grinder can be tilted, to get it wider. But, then you can't round both edges at the same "setting".

When you need to tidy a lot off pieces, then little unnecessary moves with a single piece, takes a lot off time overall.

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Why do all the grinders that rotate 90 degrees, orientate the motor downward? That requires the grinder body to be built on stilts high enough for the motor to clear the table or stand when the belt is moved to horizontal position. If the motor was orientated to vertical-up position the grinder could be built lower to the table having a much more rigid setup with less material and be more adaptable to a bench top instead of a separate stand. Either direction puts thrust on the motor bearings so why is vertical-down preferred?

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    Why do all the grinders that rotate 90 degrees, orientate the motor downward? That requires the grinder body to be built on stilts high enough for the motor to clear the table or stand when the belt is moved to horizontal position. If the motor was orientated to vertical-up position the grinder could be built lower to the table having a much more rigid setup with less material and be more adaptable to a bench top instead of a separate stand. Either direction puts thrust on the motor bearings so why is vertical-down preferred?
    That is an interesting question. My guess is that having the motor on the side that rotates down makes for a slightly more compact machine, despite the tall legs.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ductape For This Useful Post:

Saltfever (Feb 16, 2023)

Thread Information