Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: farm tractor

Thanks

farm tractor

hi guys I am interested in building a farm tractor out of a land rover discovery and I want to attach a power take-off PTO but I cannot work out how to do it so that I can drive at a certain speed but have the engine running at a much higher rpm EG drive speed 5 mph PTO 6000 rpm powering a topper for example. ideally I want to have two drive shafts one for the axles and the other for the PTO any ideas ?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Hi williamtd50, I'm not very familiar with discoverys but on the older series rovers and early range rovers PTOs came off the gearbox mainshaft through the transfer case. If you take off the round cover by the side of the transmission brake you will see the mainshaft where a PTO could be fitted. To get a slower driving speed you could alter the low range transfer box gear which would be after the main gearbox and PTO also you could keep the high range ratio the same for normal road speeds but that would require new transfer gears to be machined and alterations to the transfer case. You would also have to gear up the PTO separately as LR engines do not rev very high the Tdi motors top out at about 4500rpm. You could also change the axle diff ratios but that would alter road speed in high range as well. Here is a gear calculator that if you can find out what transmission you have you can get an idea of what may work best for you. I hope this helps a little.
    Conkers.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    thanks a lot for your advice I found it very interesting and informative and I will let you know how the build goes when I have the time to start it.
    williamtd50

Thanks

jotasierra's Tools
    Hola William, trabajo interesanta a encarar y por lo que menciona conkers será de alta gama, suerte con tu proyecto (interesante la tabla de cálculo, gracias por el aporte.)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information