Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: File buttons

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Just a question from a noob. Wouldn't this method dull your file?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 6,398 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by eimerbuilt View Post
    Just a question from a noob. Wouldn't this method dull your file?
    That concern always bothered me as well. It's a technique that harkens back to the time when a homeshop mill was a rarity, so I took a different path.

If you have a mill, consider making something like my rounding-over jig...

Rounding-over jig for small parts

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi
    Thank you for your interest
    The buttons act as a guide, but when rough filling with a course file this prevents any damage by filling it down too far. So initially there shouldn’t be any contact with the buttons. The buttons are really a safety feature so you don’t file the radius under size and as soon as any contact is made with the button you just stop filing in that area. Damage to your file will only be an issue if you allow the file to run on the button with a lot of pressure. This is a really quick and easy way to produce small radius’s on components that could be difficult to clamp down to a table therefore less chance of damage and setup time ext and a file is definitely cheaper than a milling cutter. This is definitely my preferred way to finish radius’s on components rather than using a milling machine and rotary table when ever possible. Once the buttons are made I simply put them in a designated tin for next time. The buttons don’t necessarily have to be hardened if worried about damage to your files. This method I use frequently both at home and with in my job as a skilled craftsman making components for science research. So I would disagree with Marv that this is old hat. However with modern CNC machines I would definitely agree with Marv that this is not a necessary skill but in my manual workshop it works really well.

File buttons-img_7903.jpeg File buttons-img_7902.jpeg File buttons-img_7905.jpeg

This is a copper diesink for spark eroding two castings, as can be seen this component doesn’t offer a lot of clamping area to be clamped down to a rotary table safely.

I hope this has convinced you to try this method and I am sure like me you will like the results.
    many thanks again for your interest
    The Home Engineer
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Feb 19, 2024 at 11:37 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Feb 19, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Home Engineer, I have used this method for some years and it was a favorite with model engineers, I tend to fix the soft buttons to rotate freely on the jig so as not to damage the files. A great way to form cosmetic radius and quicker than setting up a machine thanks for posting.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information