Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: FIVE GALLON POURING CENTER

Supporting Member machiningfool's Avatar
    Thanks

machiningfool's Tools

FIVE GALLON POURING CENTER

I recieved the urethane for making my molds for the viaduct in five gallon cans and they weigh about 40 lbs., so because the urethane has to be transferred to one gal. containers, I thought I would make a device to make it easier to pour. The urethane pours slowly and since I have a bad back, this contraption will make it easier to pour. It is just a hanger for the can to take most of the weight off of it while pouring. The hole in the top is made to allow to reach down and grab the handle of the five gal. can and be able to slip the pipe through the handle of the can for pouring. This way I will have to only lift one side of the container instead of having to hold up the entire weight of 40 lbs. Here are some pictures, Bob.FIVE GALLON POURING CENTER-img_0321.jpgFIVE GALLON POURING CENTER-img_0322.jpgFIVE GALLON POURING CENTER-img_0323.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 20, 2022), Captn Roy (Aug 13, 2018), high-side (Jul 3, 2020), Inner (Aug 10, 2018), johncg (Nov 1, 2022), Jon (Feb 7, 2016), kbalch (Feb 7, 2016), Moby Duck (Apr 22, 2017), mudnducs (Feb 8, 2016), PJs (Feb 9, 2016), will52100 (Aug 10, 2018)

Thanks
    Hey Bob,

Very clever - and bound to be popular!

I know I'll be looking for places to apply this idea myself…

Ken

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts
    This is one of those tools that my back wishes I built a long time ago.

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Yes Jon, I just finished using it, and wouldn't have been able to finish the pour without it. Part B of the urethane mix is very viscous and takes a long time to pour through the funnel into the 1 gal. can. As it turns out, what I do is position a chair adjacent to the rig and when I tip the 5 gal. can, I brace my arm with my leg and I hardly know there is any weight on the end of the can. I did make one addition. I added a 3 1/2 inch block on top of the pipe to stop the handle from sliding forward. Without it, the handle slid forward and in the full tilt position, the top of the can locked on the front of the rig and caused a possible over pour into the 1 gal. jug, so with the spacer, that did not happen on the second pour and everything went well. Here is a picture of the addition and what the position of the 5 gal. can should look like. Bob.FIVE GALLON POURING CENTER-img_0324.jpgFIVE GALLON POURING CENTER-img_0325.jpg

6. The Following User Says Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

PJs (Feb 9, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks machiningfool! We've added your Five Gallon Pouring Center to our Miscellaneous category, as well as to your builder page: machiningfool's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Hi Bob,

Very useful, indeed! My back is already happier at the prospect of building one of these. Your Five Gallon Pouring Center is the 'Tool of the Week'!

You'll be receiving one of our official HomemadeTools.net T-shirts:

FIVE GALLON POURING CENTER-black-shirt-front-actual-design.jpg FIVE GALLON POURING CENTER-black-shirt-rear-actual-design.jpg
    FIVE GALLON POURING CENTER-white-shirt-front-actual-design.jpg FIVE GALLON POURING CENTER-white-shirt-rear-actual-design.jpg

Just let me have your details (size, color choice, and mailing address) via PM and we'll get things processed directly.

Congrats!

Ken

Thanks

machiningfool's Tools
    Thank you very much, I will wear the T shirt with pride. I do have an update for the pour station. It is not a big deal, but I have used this device through two five gal. bucket pours and wanted to add, when coming to the end of the contents, I noticed that the bucket will only go to the 90 degree position leaving some liquid still in the bucket, but by that time, it is so light, it isn't a factor. One could redesign it to allow the bucket to rotate further, but like I say, when it is almost empty, I take it off of the hangar and finish pouring the rest outside of the rig and by then, it is really light. No more sore backs for me. Bob.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to machiningfool For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Feb 14, 2016), Paul Jones (Feb 12, 2016)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    That's a great idea, Bob. Hope by now you've kicked your tobacco habit, too.

Thanks
    Very nice idea! I wish I could come up with something similar to fill the gas tank on my John Deere 790 tractor. It is a pain in the back to try and lift a full fuel can up to the tank and pour it in.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by melbakid View Post
    Very nice idea! I wish I could come up with something similar to fill the gas tank on my John Deere 790 tractor. It is a pain in the back to try and lift a full fuel can up to the tank and pour it in.
    How about this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FIVE GALLON POURING CENTER-screen-shot-2018-04-19-8.33.46-pm.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadgeteer For This Useful Post:

Captn Roy (Sep 4, 2019)

Thread Information