Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flat packing a wind turbine - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts

Flat packing a wind turbine - GIF

Flat packing a wind turbine.

Previously:

Towing wind generator blades GIF
    Wind turbine blade counterweight - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

dubbby (Mar 9, 2020), KustomsbyKent (Aug 30, 2018), PJs (Aug 31, 2018), Seedtick (Aug 30, 2018)

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Saw a bunch of those blades go by on the Interstate this summer driving from AZ to CO to OH and back to AZ. They're BIG. They've put up a LOT of those turbines; from when we hit eastern CO all the way there and back we saw probably hundreds of them. On another trip last year when we were driving through Texas, we were never out of sight of fields of 'em for hundreds of miles from I10 in SW Texas up to the Oklahoma line.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 31, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    It seems that they have been replacing the older ones here in Texas nearly as fast as they are putting new ones up. Wind farms in Texas are growing as fast as corn in Iowa .
    Wind power in Texas consists of many wind farms with a total installed nameplate capacity of 22,637 MW[1][2] from over 40 different projects. Texas produces the most wind power of any U.S. state.[3] Wind power accounted for 14.8% of the electricity generated in Texas during 2017.

source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_Texas
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    From what I have heard, the inner core of these blades are made from balsa wood. Because of the shear size and numbers of these blades produced, there is a shortage of balsa. If you are an old school model airplane builder this is bad news for you as well as the rain forest. Has anyone else heard this?

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Runaway windmill fire.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 2, 2018), PJs (Sep 3, 2018), Seedtick (Sep 1, 2018), that_other_guy (Sep 3, 2018)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Not much you can do when an older generator shorts out and burns but let it burn itself out.
    Once the blade lock down device and the speed controls are shot just keep everyone well away from the thing. The bearings and gearing will eventually fail then the blades are going to shear off where they will land will be anybody's guess
    Newer generator Nacelles have better thermal safety lock down systems which will lock the rotors then pitch the blades to zero angle but nothing is totally infallible.
    I was thinking about leasing to a wind company to allow a turbine to be installed on this property but 1 I don't have enough land A variance to that could be done providing the neighboring rancher would consider leasing part of his ranch as well. My property has 2 areas that are far enough away from the house that a turbine could be installed 1 area to the South gets a little too close to the used to be town and the other area to the North is too close to the road so that $5000.00 per year income is not to be had. unless I could somehow buy part of the ranch property to the East of me at the North end of my property.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Jon (Sep 1, 2018)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Strange they are packing the blades at the top of the load? They must not be doing direct assemble but unload and then install.

Ralph

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Ralph not so strange when you consider the weight of the tower tubes compared to the weight of the blades.
    The blades, tower sections Generator Nacelles and the hubs pass by here quite often. The Hubs will be on a double drop 2 axle lowboy the Nacelle will be on a 3 axle trailer with a tri drive tractor the blades on a triple stretch trailer usually having 3 axles often steerable,and the tractor having 3 rear axles mostly due to the weight of the trailer
    the tower sections on a dolly and jeep basket 4 to 6 axle steerable dolly 3 sometimes 4 axle jeep basket and truck again with at least 3 rear axles.
    Some of those tower sections are 10 to 12 feet in diameter and i have been told as much as 2 inches thick thicker for the base section.
    that's a lot of weight.
    Last edited by Frank S; Sep 1, 2018 at 04:05 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Sep 3, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Interesting that 2 of those towers are on fire. The one in the back is billowing smoke but can't see any flames. Wonder what kind of drain/surge would cause 2 to go at the same time. I think the core of the blades are polystyrene and the likely cause of the swirls...but what cause the blade to catch fire at the tip? Burning from the inside out?
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    PJs the only thing I can think of that could have started a fire in the tip of the blade would have been a lightening strike if the lightening had struck the generator just as the blade passed through the energy field, That very well could account for the second generator burning as well multiple strikes are not unheard of in a small area. and those turbines should be spaced several 100 yards apart
    A large enough strike could have burned out the turbine brake as well which may account for only the 1 turbine spinning the others appear to be locked down.

Thread Information